Live view

The only benefit to liveview is composition from strange angles. E.G. Your camera is nearly touching the ground and you're shooting upward. You want to kneel or stand up, but surely dont want to lay down to compose the shot. Liveview is your answer. That's the only time I can think of where it'd have helped me.

that was the only time I thought it would be useful as well.

One thing that could potentially be scary (even more so for me if I'm the only one who thuoght of this....)
is that if someone put a D40 in your room on a tripod and hid it somehow (threw a coat on it maybe? put it in a closet?) then attatched the new wireless transimitter thing to a web server, using Canon's EOS utility software they could use live view to see in your room with their computer, and if they saw something they liked, the could take a picture, the 40D has a "quiet mode" where there is no mirror slap noise.
It almost seems like the 40D was designed for this and should be released as "The Canon Peeping tom".

One thing that could potentially be scary (even more so for me if I'm the only one who thuoght of this....)
is that if someone put a D40 in your room on a tripod and hid it somehow (threw a coat on it maybe? put it in a closet?) then attatched the new wireless transimitter thing to a web server, using Canon's EOS utility software they could use live view to see in your room with their computer, and if they saw something they liked, the could take a picture, the 40D has a "quiet mode" where there is no mirror slap noise.
It almost seems like the 40D was designed for this and should be released as "The Canon Peeping tom".
Don't you think that's being a bit paranoid? ;)

Someone could just hide a camcorder/web cam in your room and stream that.... why bother setting a bulky DSLR on a tripod in a room lol

Don't you think that's being a bit paranoid? ;)
heh..... not really, I was bored one day and was thinking of something to say to scare my girlfriend so I told her I was going to do this..... it's ok though, I can't afford it. So I'm really the "creep" in this end of the spectrum, paranoid people are the victums.

Being a E-510 Owner, I can say that I've only used live view for a couple of my shots and mainly because it would have been impossible for me to get into certain positions (back in a corner with the camera almost on the floor) to get my shot. I'd say because it will allow you to get pics from awkward spots when doing so through the viewfinder would be damn near impossible it's worth it.

Plus, when passing off your camera to a family member to do a group shot, switching to live view actually makes it much easier for them and avoids many "how do I use this camera" questions.

Well you can say one thing if the D40 has liveview than you can expect all of the next generation of prosumer cameras to have it.

Most reactions

Back