Lizard vs. Worm -- C&C Please

DogGoneGood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Before anyone mentions it, I am already well aware that the DoF is way, way off in this shot, as is the problem with several of my shots. With that said, here is the problem I am having with obtaining the correct DoF. Whenever I increase it, it causes darker photo's, so I have to decrease my shutter speed and increase my ISO. But for moving shots, I can only only decrease the shutter speed so far before things start to blur.

For shots like this, inside a lightbox that already has 3 flourescent tube bulbs on it, it's hard to increase the DoF without getting dark shots or cranking the ISO up insanely high to avoid that. I tried it on 1600 and the grain was too much for me.

I don't have a flash yet, but that's my next planned purchase. I'm hoping being able to bounce a flash will allow me more light, so I can increase my DoF. Would this be a solution?

Any other DoF advice on ways to improve it, would be helpful.

C&C for this photo, taken tonight, would be great as well. It was very dark as well, and I had to lighten it up considerably in Lightroom.

Bearded Dragon vs. Worm by Danielle S. Photography, on Flickr

I don't have major problem with the DOF. Are you trying to have the entire lizard in focus? That's probably not possible with a single shot. I definitely think the DOF range can be improved, but I know it's hard to do this when the subject is moving all the time.

I do think the angle and composition can be better. For me, I don't know what's more important to look at. The lizard or the worm. I think a different angle or approach will help.

It is overexposed i think.

If you're worried about DOF why don't you have the lizard's whole body in the same plane(same distance from the front element of the lens) that way if you want to keep your settings... DOF won't be an issue. You can also shoot with a higher aparature.

Sorry I don't have my meta reader in this comp...what's your f stop when you were shooting this?

It probably is a bit too overexposed, that's my fault in the PP part.

I was trying to get a bit more of his back end/tail area in focus.

Here's the stats for the photo:

ISO 800
42mm
f/7.1
1/500 shutter speed

I agree about the angle because the subject isn't defined. The intensity of the lizard could be better shot at a better angle and then probably a little less exposed. It's still cool though. I like where your going with it.

Before anyone mentions it, I am already well aware that the DoF is way, way off in this shot, as is the problem with several of my shots. With that said, here is the problem I am having with obtaining the correct DoF. Whenever I increase it, it causes darker photo's, so I have to decrease my shutter speed and increase my ISO. But for moving shots, I can only only decrease the shutter speed so far before things start to blur.

For shots like this, inside a lightbox that already has 3 flourescent tube bulbs on it, it's hard to increase the DoF without getting dark shots or cranking the ISO up insanely high to avoid that. I tried it on 1600 and the grain was too much for me.

I don't have a flash yet, but that's my next planned purchase. I'm hoping being able to bounce a flash will allow me more light, so I can increase my DoF. Would this be a solution?

Any other DoF advice on ways to improve it, would be helpful.

C&C for this photo, taken tonight, would be great as well. It was very dark as well, and I had to lighten it up considerably in Lightroom.

Bearded Dragon vs. Worm by Danielle S. Photography, on Flickr

It says that your photos are okay to edit, so I hope you don't mind that I played with it a little. (I am bored as hell lol). I will take it down if you wish.

5451726367_c9db5df921_b.jpg

I duplicated the layer, bumped the exposure on the background down just a tad so that it was still white but not so overpowering. Played with curves and contrast a little on the lizard and slightly sharpened it. Whether it made it better or not I don't know but it killed some time :)

I really love the photo. The DoF is fine, I wouldn't want the whole lizard in focus for a shot like this. If it were all in focus, the scales on the head would blend with the scales on the body further back and the action would be lost. I've also had a play with it if that's ok:

5451726367c9db5df921b.jpg

I adjusted the levels and the contrast a smidge to bring out the scales and colour burned the top of his head and the grub to pop them out of the back ground. I also reduced some of the yellowness as I thought it was overpoweringly yellow and took the vibrance down a notch.

I also tried a different crop as I thought there was too much white space in the top half of the photo. I did have to sacrifice a leg for this though, but I don't think it takes anything away from the image. Plus, his eye now sits more or less in the top right cross on the Rule of Thirds grid which helps the general composition.

By the way, is this your lizard? I'd love to borrow someone's monster for a little shoot!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I love the edits y'all did!

This is my lizard, he's a 2 year old Bearded Dragon. He's a camera hog too, not a shy bone in his body, so he makes a good "prop" for me to practice my camera with, LOL.

It was a bit overexposed, but it was still a nice shot. I also agree that a different angle would have probably been more ideal. Overall nice job!

Just as a side note, shooting at ISO 800 and upping the exposure by 1 stop in post gives a basically identical result as shooting at ISO1600 in the first place.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back