Local camera store MUCH more expensive?

McMommy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to figure out why my local camera store would be SO MUCH more expensive than other sources, by a lot?

When I bought my 35mm 1.8 lens, I was looking for a 50mm. I didn't research it, but the man who owns the store spent a little time figuring out what I wanted and what I needed, and that I'd probably like this lens better. So far, I do! So much so that it lives on my camera and I don't use either of my kit lenses. After much debate and consideration, I've decided to return my D5000 and all the parts that came with it (that I don't use) and buy a Nikon D90 body! I got mine at Costco, and they have a very generous return policy, and I still have 2 weeks to return it (plan on doing it next week, early on).

Anyways, I called my local camera store and they sell the body for $899!!! Amazon has it for $765 new, as do other places for a similar price. I don't understand why they'd charge so much more than the "going" price? Is this something I could negotiate with them? Is that even appropriate? The only other major thing I've purchased from them was my lens, and I found out later I paid about $40 more for it than I would have from any other source, including Best Buy. These guys are reputable, they know their stuff... so why do I feel like something isn't right?

What am I missing here??

Yup, it is always like that. They cant compete with giants like B&H because they buy in large quantity. Plus if you dont have to pay tax and it is free shipping. You would save a lot of money if you buy it from B&H. Also, alot of these local places have bad return policy. If you dont need it right away, buy it from B&H.

Overhead. You buy from Amazon you're buying from a warehouse where they buy in bulk. Bulk buying gets them discounts the regular stores can't touch. They don't have an actual offline store and warehouse space can always be had a lot cheaper than retail space. Ergo they can charge less than your local place that probably has a huge rent and utility bill every month and a much smaller budget for new stuff.

It's like buying from Walmart vs. your mom and pop store (which are slowly disappearing). You get good prices from the big guys, but when you have problems they don't know you and they don't always come to your rescue (although BH, Adorama, and the like are more helpful than other online suppliers). I find that it's worth a few extra bucks to have a good relationship with my local camera store and buy things from them occasionally (I bought my 7D locally), although I admit that I also buy a lot online as well.

This is the killer = a highstreet shops has rates, rent and staff fees to pay ontop of having to often purchase in smaller quantities from stockists - unless the shop happens to be part of a chain.

The internet only shop has only a warehouse on cheap land with no rates and little (if any) rent. This along with being able to buy cheaper in bulk gives them fantastic power to charge less than highstreet alternatives. Sadly the internet is fast being the deathnail for many retailers and independant highstreet shops - who just can't compete with the cheaper pricings that online retailers can afford - nor with the low prices that massive chainstores (tescos, walmart) can do.
Heck in the UK there was the case that tesco could price books to the public cheaper than bookshop owners could get them from wearhouses direct - that was I belive a harry potter book that was the main cited case.

The camera store here has on par prices with their bodies, accessories and lenses. I asked them about it and they apparently make their money on processing and repairs, which I believe after I sent my 75-300mm lens and Rebel body in for repair.

I don't mind paying a little more locally, would rather keep the small guys in business than the corporate conglomerates. I gladly gave them my first roll of film to develop, they have to mail it off to Gainesville to be hand-developed (b&w) and turnaround is a week. Not a problem for me :thumbup:

When the only thing in your area with the name "camera store' is Ritz or some other sorry excuse for a camera store, maybe you will regret the higher prices.

I have posted a few times about supporting local stores. If you don't get it, you don't get it. Ritz, or Walmart, are your photo stores of the future.

When the only thing in your area with the name "camera store' is Ritz or some other sorry excuse for a camera store, maybe you will regret the higher prices.

Yes, I wasn't referring to Ritz as a local store. I would rather deal with online than with them. It is the locally owned full-service store that I continue to support.

Yes, I wasn't referring to Ritz as a local store. I would rather deal with online than with them. It is the locally owned full-service store that I continue to support.

icassell, I was not talking about your response or anybody else's in particular. Just trying to get the point across that if we don't support local stores they will be gone and we will be left with Ritz or Wally World.

At my last address in the US we only had Ritz and there is no way I'm going to call them a photo store.

icassell, I was not talking about your response or anybody else's in particular. Just trying to get the point across that if we don't support local stores they will be gone and we will be left with Ritz or Wally World.

At my last address in the US we only had Ritz and there is no way I'm going to call them a photo store.

Yeah, that would be like calling Radio Shack an electronics store. I have been an electronics hobbiest since childhood and all of the locally owned stores are long gone.

I negotiate all the time with my camera store and have saved hundreds of dollars in the process. I just find lower prices elsewhere and ask them to match it, which they do.

skieur

I negotiate all the time with my camera store and have saved hundreds of dollars in the process. I just find lower prices elsewhere and ask them to match it, which they do.

skieur

I'm thinking of asking them to lower the price... I would gladly support them, but I can't afford to return an $800 package (D5000, bag, 2 kit lenses, 2g memory card, and a bunch of materials) to go buy a camera body that is supposed to be about the same price as all of that new, except it's another $100. I can't afford that.

I'm also looking into buying it refurbished, since I've read good things about that. What I'd like to do with the money saved is buy a good off-camera flash.

Building a good relationship with the local camera shop has always benefited me in the long run... it helps that there are a very successful and knowledgeable group too.

I am at the point that I can pretty much can borrow anything they have in the store for a week or so... I even had the owner offer to lend me their Leica S2 for a few days (for which I declined...). That type of service is worth the premium in my book.

........(although BH, Adorama, and the like are more helpful than other online suppliers)......

Thank you! We do try our best keep in touch with all our customers to provide as personal a service as possible :hug:: - as well as providing competitive prices and speedy shipping!

The local stores around here all have a price match policy. So I if see a camera/lens for sale at any store in Canada, for less than they are offering it, then they will match the lower price.

The problem is that the big stores down in the US, still have lower prices, even after shipping and currency conversion. So as much as I like to support my local stores, I still order much of my gear from the US.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back