Local camera store MUCH more expensive?

I didn't research it, but the man who owns the store spent a little time figuring out what I wanted and what I needed, and that I'd probably like this lens better. So far, I do!

The extra $40 that you spent went directly here. You pay for the service and the information that he has collected in order to better serve you. If I were you I would approach him and explain to him that the price difference creates some hardship for you and ask him if there is anything that he can do for you. I wouldn't expect them to match it but I would support my local shop even at a higher expense. They are professionals and deserve the compensation. Plus instant gratification is amazing.

Last edited:
I agree with others. The local shops have overhead and buy in smaller quantities. For me the service isn't any advantage as all the employees are not excessively knowledgable. Obviously that depends on the chain and the store of course. I get most of my gear info online from other photographers, and my knowledge has grown over the years so I usually know what I want, or where to ask online to get the info I need.

I have asked a local shop for a better price, but they cannot compete with BH, Amazon, etc. I priced a filter once local, and the store manager told me their cost, was more than BH was selling it retail. They seemed honest and surprised at the BH prices, and I'm certain it was the same model number. I suppose the manager could have been lying to avoid coming down in price, but it didn't seem so.

So, often they can't match the prices online without losing money. That's what I seem to understand. For many though, the local shops serve a great service when they can give solid advice and offer help for folks that are less familiar with all the available equipment for their camera.

As was mentioned, if you ask, they may be able to come closer to an online price, but not always all the way to an exact price match.

I negotiate all the time with my camera store and have saved hundreds of dollars in the process. I just find lower prices elsewhere and ask them to match it, which they do.

skieur
+1

You can always try to negotiate.

I'm thinking of asking them to lower the price... I would gladly support them, but I can't afford to return an $800 package (D5000, bag, 2 kit lenses, 2g memory card, and a bunch of materials) to go buy a camera body that is supposed to be about the same price as all of that new, except it's another $100. I can't afford that.

You need to understand that your local camera store may not be able to afford it either. It cost your local store money if someone spends an hour or two to educate you and help you select a lens. And if they match the price of an online store than it is very likely that they are losing money.

I myself buy a lot of things online and from my local camera store as well. There are few things that you have to see and touch before purchasing and the camera store is the best place to buy these things and you should not feel guilty paying a premium for using their facility and time.

All very good points, thank you! I'll see if they are willing to come down to the same price I paid for my whole kit. Then, it's one for the other. If they are unable to though, I can't do it... trying to save for CS5 as a stay at home mom in the military = not a huge paycheck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back