Local camera stores

Sydkid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone know of a camera store that will let you use your memory card to test out their cameras?

you mean so as you can take the shots home to view?
I would think most would let you do just that - just ask them - and make sure to write your name (perminant marker) on the card, or some sort of other id mark, so as there is no confusion at the end of the day.

Good tip with the marker. Thanks.

I just thought = most cameras will want to format the card before saving to it - certainly between different brands the formating will be different and that could wipe all your previous samples.
Best thing is to ask to view the shots on the store computer/laptop (they are bound to have one) and then take a memory stick to the shop to copy the results to.

Most will allows... from a sales point of view, personal one on one attention is the biggest leverage a local camera shop will have against mail/online shops.

Another simple solution is to bring a few cards..... small, cheap ones...

Anyone know of a camera store that will let you use your memory card to test out their cameras?

Our local store not only allows it they encourage it. And if you don't have a card with you they have cards. They also have a Mac on the sales floor with a calibrated monitor and a card reader installed so that after you test drive the cameras you are interested in they will pop the cards in right there and let you compare results.

It's been a great P.O.S. tool for them.

Our local store not only allows it they encourage it.

Yup.. mine too... Too bad people have lost the idea that good personal service is worth value and only see the bottom line.

My local store let me walk outside with about $10k worth of equipment to take a few test shots. Of course, they know me as a valuable customer but it still impresses me each and every time. Another time, I inquired about a $3000+ lens and without asking he started to open one of the packages (no demo yet). I had to stop the sales guy out of guilt since I wasn't even close to considering the purchase seriously yet.

The thing with asking questions like this in an international forum without giving up your location always causes me to chuckle a little (where's SLC??).

Sure, come on down (up? sideways??) to Monreal, Quebec, Canada. I can walk you to at least 4 camera stores that will let you do this. :lol:

I would not expect all camera places to unwrap a new camera, slap on a lens for you and let you take it once around the block unless they felt you were a serious prospect for purchase, however, if they have one out, you can easily do that.

That's another thing... the same camera with different lenses will perform *worlds* differently. Bring your own lens and use that as a baseline. While you are at it, try to get the same lighting conditions and shoot the same object for best comparison results.

SLC Salt Lake City (Utah, USA).

And the shops downtown SLC are (or used to be) some of the best in the world - employing famous photographers as employees or store partners. The level of expertise in a SLC camera shop used to be quite renown!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back