Local Photo Group

CanadianMe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This past week I joined a local photo group. I went on an outing with them for the first time Saturday, for those like me who are new to photography I would recommend it ( Even those who are not new may be a good idea). They have a forum, they are local and they do outings that get you involved and you have people around who can answer questions. I took 637 photos my first time out and will go to other outings. If your trying to get into photography finding a local meet up type group is highly recommended to get you going. I am not Mr.Social so if I can do it almost anyone can and is a great way to find others locally who have knowledge and have ideas for places to go shoot. I will still do a lot of things on my own but it gives me another option for getting out and taking photos. It was my wifes idea to look and see what was local and very glad she did. It is one more way to get informed and active.

Good on you! :)

I've been thinking of joining a photo club... but i just haven't got around to doing it yet.

Good on you! :)

I've been thinking of joining a photo club... but i just haven't got around to doing it yet.

Yea first thing I ever joined besides a message board lol. Free class for beginners this Wednesday, in the week since I joined I will be much more knowledgeable, so well worth joining.

PS. Just looked at your Flikr site, love the photos.

That sound like fun. Entertaining, interacting, learning, practicing. I may look for one around here, should be one somewhere, hopefully.

Btw post one or two pictures once you have time.

I joined the Lethbridge Photography club here a couple of months ago and it's the best thing I've ever done. I have so much fun every month - and my knowledge has increased tenfold just from talking with so many experienced photographers.

This is the only photo from Saturday that I have uploaded anywhere, a computer forum I belong to were talking about the Ducks migrating back so I posted this pic there. I am still going through my photos and will post others when I can. Need to get my photos organized now, they are just done by the dates and taking so many now it is just a mess lol. I called this one Air Brakes.

2305366385_c6e0152672_o.jpg

where is a good place to start looking for clubs?
i am in new jersey and have been wondering about this, but haven't even started looking yet.

I went to google, typed in my city name with photography club and then with photography group and found a few including the one I eventually joined. I looked at meetup.com but was very underwhelmed and had a look at craigslist before I went to google, seemed the best way to find them in my experience. The deciding factor was this group holds events almost every weekend, usually ad-hoc ones but you have 3-5 choices every weekend.

What is the name of the group? I am from Waterloo and would be interested in joining a group in the GTA. I love heading to Toronto to snap pictures.

What is the name of the group? I am from Waterloo and would be interested in joining a group in the GTA. I love heading to Toronto to snap pictures.

Pm'ed it to you, since they have a forum just thought it proper I pm it to you.

I was looking into joining the camera club here in OKC. I emailed with a few questions months ago and they never replied. Oh well...

I was looking into joining the camera club here in OKC. I emailed with a few questions months ago and they never replied. Oh well...

I would then look around at others, I only joined this one because they had a forum and the meetings are made public that way. If there is no activity I would just look around for another, I would hate to only know what was going on through a weekly or monthly email, I am more spur of the moment, so if I had to plan anymore than 2 or 3 days ahead it would not be a fit for me anyway. It also lets me get an idea what the people in the club are like, it may not be accurate in all cases but you get a feel for them through talking on the message boards. This was not the first club I looked into , but the only one I thought I could be involved with, and if I didn't care for them once I had met them I would have just walked away. I still enjoy going out on my own, but gives me an alternative.

CanadianMe, I don't think there is another. They are apparently quite active. I don't have much time to go out on shooting field trips. I'm a stay-at-home mom of two and a full-time student. I could probably attend the meetings. I think they are twice a month. Ironically, I am familiar with one of their active members. She ran the amateur photo contest at the OK State Fair. I entered the last 2 years. One of my photos got 7th place last year (not too bad considering the number of entries in the various categories). :D

Most reactions

Back