local tv station

Joerocket

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey all,

In my town we have a local TV station that is basically like a local CNN, it tells about local events, weather, and ocasionally low bidget shows about whats going on in town. Seems like just about always its repeating the same 10 messages with some oldies radio station playing in the background, but in one quarter of the screen it cycles through usually about 10 photos of our town. These pictures change about once a month. The photos seem as though some person has just gone out with a throw away camera and took some snapshots (with some exceptions) of the local attractions (museum, library, etc.) anyways I was thinking of inquiring as to whether they would like some new photos, free of course, to put on their station, as I already have alot of good shots of around town, just thought I'd post my idea on here to see if anyone has any ideas as to how I would go about this. (email? letter? phone?) or whether I should just send them some photos on a disc or something. Sorry this was soo long but if anyone has any ideas or just a comment please reply, Thanks in advance,

-Joe

ps, heres a pic of my tv on the local station. (and i thought about just calling the technical support # but its for cogeco cable so i wouldnt be talking to someone from my town)

cogeco.jpg

thanks again!

Sounds like a good idea to me. I would phone and make an appointment to show your work. Free is never a good idea. Work out a reasonable price. Try and be involved in the production process, so that your images look good.

Thanks for the reply Craig, I'd love to charge some money for them, but i just assumed its a local station and i think all or most of their stuff is voluntary, suppose they could get paid a little, dont know much about it. I figured if I said free there's no way they would refuse, then at least my name is out there, even if it's just everyones gramma seeing it!

-Joe

What Craig said is quite right. Try and find out who's the content editor or the VT graphics person.

Be very aware that the existing pictures were probably taken by the person who is in charge of that bit or their darling child. Avoid telling them that they aren't any good, just ask if they'd be interested in showing your work instead.

Rob

Yea thats good thinkin Rob, What would you's say is the best way to show my work, that is if they agree to meet with me, should I get a nice portfolio book and just put in pictures I intend for them to use? or add in some of my best work along with it, how many pics would you say I should show them, all of them or just a sample, should I leave them with copies of the prints, or just email them the raw or jpeg image files? sorry for so many question but I'm a total beginner when it comes to marketing, ive always just taken photos for the enjoyment. Any answers or aditional comments very much appreciated!! Thanks again for all the help!

-Joe

Most reactions

Back