Location Lighting Without Electrical Outlets?

The Phototron

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there any way to use a powerpack like Speedotron 805 on locations without electrical outlets?

Second question, are there any public electrical outlets on the streets (I live in NY)? If any at all?

Thanks for taking time to read this. I have tried to find the answer, or just in denial to the fact that I fail to perceive the difference between a powerpack and a battery-powerpack.

I know that there are converters that you can run from a car (DC to AC). I imagine it would depend on how many amps you need. If you are concerned about recharging batteries, those would work. If you need to power a large lighting system, you would be out of luck. I think that if New York had public outlets, you could find them by looking for all the homeless people gathered around watching TV. My definition of a powerpack would be a generator that provides 120 volts AC. Again to me, a battery/powerpack would be the thing that you stick in your camera to make it work.

Are there any public outlets on the streets??? you live in NY??? NY i a pretty big place. In the whole state yes, I igine there are some public outlets somewhere but it depends on where you go. Parks have them other places do but to ask if there are public outlets in NY is a pretty broad question. There are battery packs available for studio lighting do you have any lights right now. If you do not have a system right now (or even if you do) you might consider some of the things in The Strobist http://strobist.blogspot.com/ might be a good place o go for a decent alternative to carrying a whole studio systemwith you when you go out on a location shoot. He (The Strobist) works with speedlites instead of studio lights and gets wonderful results with a kit you can carry in a tripod bag.

Are there any public outlets on the streets??? you live in NY??? NY i a pretty big place. In the whole state yes, I igine there are some public outlets somewhere but it depends on where you go. Parks have them other places do but to ask if there are public outlets in NY is a pretty broad question. There are battery packs available for studio lighting do you have any lights right now. If you do not have a system right now (or even if you do) you might consider some of the things in The Strobist http://strobist.blogspot.com/ might be a good place o go for a decent alternative to carrying a whole studio systemwith you when you go out on a location shoot. He (The Strobist) works with speedlites instead of studio lights and gets wonderful results with a kit you can carry in a tripod bag.
By New York I mean Manhattan area or NYC. I just this guy using an electric outlet from the base of a street light on youtube (the video on how easily it is to steal a bike). He just take it right out and plug it onto his equipment, but I was wondering would you need some kind of a permit to use them.

I have tried the strobist approach, and have a vivitar 285HV, but for now I want to focus on the studio set I bought. I will go with the strobist for portability, but studio strobes are good for many other reasons. And while I do not have the background to contest that, I have to get familiar with them for a future class anyway.

The set I have now consist of a Speedotron Black Line System:
(1) 805 power pack
(4) 103 universal flash heads

I plan to sell 2 of those heads, since I really don't need that much now and the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Well if you go to the Speedtron site http://www.speedotron.com/BlkPack.htm you will see right on their front page they have a portable location power-supply. If you look at B+H you will see they have it available for around $1700 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518767-REG/Speedotron_11256_1500_W_S_Digital_Explorer.html . Or you could try a gas powered generator. Your suggestion of outlets is going to be very touch and go if you are going to depend on that I would do some serious scouting of your location before you go out for a shoot with a model/client and all your gear in tow. I think generally it is going to be hard to find but I am sure you will find some places.

Ok, apparently I'm not smarter than the link. Here is where it should have lead.

[SIZE=+1]Introducing -
The Speedotron Explorer 1500 Digital Portable Power Supply,
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]the latest Black Line System innovation. [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Priced economically at $2100, the Explorer provides a cost effective solution to gas powered generators or high priced European portable systems for those location shots where electrical power is not available.[/SIZE]
1spaceWht.gif
Explorer_1500D.jpg
1spaceWht.gif

[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]The Explorer 1500 portable battery provides for up to 225 full power flashes and may be quickly replaced with a spare battery, "The Juice Box" (#11253) priced at $400. Each battery contains a universal recharging circuit which draws only 1.3 amperes max from 85 to 265 volts at 47Hz to 63Hz. The Explorer 1500 Digital can use electric current from nearly anywhere in the world without voltage adapters. The low current draw even allows recharging batteries with an inexpensive inverter connected to a car's accessory outlet!
9.5" x 5.4" x 11.7", 24.8 lbs.

For the location, unless you REALLY need to block out the sun, speedlights are the far superior way to shoot, Especially if you have easy means to trigger them wirelessly, ala CLS.

For the location, unless you REALLY need to block out the sun, speedlights are the far superior way to shoot, Especially if you have easy means to trigger them wirelessly, ala CLS.
I guess that settles it, strobist for locations I can't get access to electric outlets, and studio strobe for place that I can.

I think it has been argued before, but studio strobes simply have more modifiers. Although that is probably going to change in the future.

Ok, apparently I'm not smarter than the link. Here is where it should have lead.

[SIZE=+1]Introducing - [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]The Speedotron Explorer 1500 Digital Portable Power Supply, [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]the latest Black Line System innovation. [/SIZE][SIZE=+1]Priced economically at $2100, the Explorer provides a cost effective solution to gas powered generators or high priced European portable systems for those location shots where electrical power is not available.[/SIZE]​
1spaceWht.gif
Explorer_1500D.jpg
1spaceWht.gif

The Explorer 1500 portable battery provides for up to 225 full power flashes and may be quickly replaced with a spare battery, "The Juice Box" (#11253) priced at $400. Each battery contains a universal recharging circuit which draws only 1.3 amperes max from 85 to 265 volts at 47Hz to 63Hz. The Explorer 1500 Digital can use electric current from nearly anywhere in the world without voltage adapters. The low current draw even allows recharging batteries with an inexpensive inverter connected to a car's accessory outlet!
9.5" x 5.4" x 11.7", 24.8 lbs.

Now now now there is nothing wrong with my link it works just fine. Also to Phototron if you tihink studio lighting has more modifiers than Strobist style speedlite shooting you need to read more of The Strobist site.

Now now now there is nothing wrong with my link it works just fine. Also to Phototron if you tihink studio lighting has more modifiers than Strobist style speedlite shooting you need to read more of The Strobist site.
Yes, that is what I think until proof wrong. I do visit the strobist site every now and then, and I see a lot of DIY stuffs, but that's not what I'm referring to.

studio strobes simply have more modifiers.

That's BS, anyone who isn't lazy enough to do at least a little DIY can do anything with speedlights that you can with studio strobes.

That's BS, anyone who isn't lazy enough to do at least a little DIY can do anything with speedlights that you can with studio strobes.
I don't want to argue, because you're way out of my league. But common sense dictates that what I said is the case. Studio lighting has been around way longer, and studio photographers also have a lot of DIY stuffs: bokens, flags, cookies, not to mention the insane amount of probs. Strobist approach simply tries to simulate studio lighting in most cases, except they take into account ambient light. But not in all case they are successful especially when there is more power demand.

Practically though, you are correct.

For on-location shooting I only use speedlights fired with PocketWizards (they are expensive but I won't use anything else). I have some nice studio lights, and I love using them, but it just isn't worth it to me to tear down, transport, and then set up, tear down, and transport again in order to use studio lights. I can do the same thing with a speedlight that I can do with a studio light...so why add the extra grief to an already high stress event (weddings).

I don't want to argue, because you're way out of my league. But common sense dictates that what I said is the case. Studio lighting has been around way longer, and studio photographers also have a lot of DIY stuffs: bokens, flags, cookies, not to mention the insane amount of probs. Strobist approach simply tries to simulate studio lighting in most cases, except they take into account ambient light. But not in all case they are successful especially when there is more power demand.

Practically though, you are correct.
OK? Most strobist make use of available light and, actually maximize its use. While some may not be successful they come way closer that, people who insist on staying in the box and, not being a problem solver.
You are most likely stuck with strobes or, renting some portable power sources form a camera store. You might look at B&H's rental store to see if they have anything for you. Otherwise I say improvise, adapt and, overcome.

Most reactions

Back