Lomography Lomo400 120 film

joelbolden

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I really like Lomo100 and 400 in my 35mm cameras. Great colors, nice detail and small grain. When it comes to medium format I've always used either Porta160 or 400 with excellent results. When I noticed that Lomo was now offering the 400 in 120 format, I ordered 3 rolls based on my experience with it in 35mm format. I just finished running the first roll through my Yashica MAT-124G and have to say I'm not really happy with it. First off, it's really large grained compared to Porta. Secondly, while it portrays primary colors as well as the 35mm film, It really lacks clarity. The two pics shown are the best of the lot of 12. The others are ok exposure wise, but also suffer from large grain and lack of clarity. Both received a lot of editing, especially noise reduction; both normal and color noise reduction. I finally bothered to read some reviews on it, and it seems to be the consensus that it sucks at landscape work, but seems to be ok for people photography. I'll be going back to Porta for color.
000453760010.crop.jpg
000453760012.c.jpg

Lomo doesn't make its own film; it rebrands stock of other films. For this reason, especially with the 120, it can be hit or miss in terms of quality. I've gotten rolls that were fine and other rolls that showed the backing paper markings, for example.

I did some checking and the consensus seems to be that what you've got there is rebranded Kodak Ultramax.

I can attest to the "you don't know what you get" aspect of any Lomo and there are others films. I process this stuff (color and BW) at the lab I work at and it's wild some of the "off-ness" of the exposures and colors. Some films are pre-fogged.....!!??!!

Lomo doesn't make its own film; it rebrands stock of other films. For this reason, especially with the 120, it can be hit or miss in terms of quality. I've gotten rolls that were fine and other rolls that showed the backing paper markings, for example.

I did some checking and the consensus seems to be that what you've got there is rebranded Kodak Ultramax.
I'm pretty sure many of the lomo films are produced by Kodak, but no one seems to be sure which is which. There was a long thread at Photorio.com about lomo films and even film sales reps weren't sure. The large grain does tend to indicate some sort of Kodak Consumer grade film, though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back