Lomography Petzval VS. Lensbaby Twist 60

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been eyeing the Petzval for AGES now, but couldn't bite for various reasons. A- the price tag, B- I was worried about the removable aperture blades on a windy day, and I was originally telling myself I was waiting for it to finally be released in black)

This morning I stumbled upon the Lensbaby Twist 60. Honestly, I can't splurge on it anytime soon but it really has me intrigued! I'm not a huge fan of the heavy vignette it produces, but I think I could work around that in post? And for around $600 less- it seems like a steal.

Has anyone used it?
Can anyone comment on the quality of lens baby's in general?
Bonus points if you've used both! :giggle:

Rick50

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Sorry, I bought a Lensbaby a couple years ago and have never used it. If you get one and post some photo's it might encourage me to try mine. :02.47-tranquillity:

OP
JustJazzie

JustJazzie

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Sorry, I bought a Lensbaby a couple years ago and have never used it. If you get one and post some photo's it might encourage me to try mine. :02.47-tranquillity:
lol. I have never fallen in love with a lens baby before. Most of their effects just aren't my thing. But I AM in love with the wonderland-y goodness that these two lenses create. Its like falling down a rabbit hole every time I follow the swirl around the frame!

Rick50

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
lol. I have never fallen in love with a lens baby before. Most of their effects just aren't my thing. But I AM in love with the wonderland-y goodness that these two lenses create. Its like falling down a rabbit hole every time I follow the swirl around the frame!
Well, this could get interesting then. I had the same view you did now I'm interested.

OP
JustJazzie

JustJazzie

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Well, this could get interesting then. I had the same view you did now I'm interested.

I found this (very short) comparison article, but it does have a few good visuals. I see that there's more control over the bokeh with the petzval- but is it worth the price jump and dealing with removable plates?....although the removable plates do have cool shape options!

First look at the Lensbaby Twist 60 - DIY Photography

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Gary A.

Reaction score
Website
www.garyayala.com
Here's some of mine from the basic LensBaby:

IMG_3776.jpg

IMG_3799.jpg

IMG_3817.jpg

_MG_7338-X3.jpg

OP
JustJazzie

JustJazzie

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Petzval > Lens Baby

It costs more because its a better build quality all around and gives a specific "look" that lens baby does not quite get. You're also paying for cool factor.

If price is a concern (always is) try the lens baby. If it doesn't get you the results you want, toss it on craigslist.

A Petzval for my 4x5 is next on my list :D

Most reactions

New Topics