What's new

London Fashion Week

Rob

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Messages
6,217
Reaction score
135
Location
London
Hi,

As those of you who are subscribers know, I was at London Fashion Week's closing day today taking some pictures.

There are a lot of photos, which you can view here: London Fashion Week by Rob

It was a long day, starting at 5.20am this morning! The amount of effort which goes into these kind of events is just staggering. The backstage areas are mega-crowded, with massive consumption of Red Bull, Evian and cigarettes.

Models are made up, styled and dressed all together in one badly overcrowded room.



Although the start was very early, with most models arriving from about 6.30am, it's very apparant that there is limited time to complete a large amount of work! Many of the outfits are literally stitched onto the models.



When the show time approaches, the level of running, shouting and use of the F word increase to a point of frenzy. Model names are shouted as postions are found.

The main auditorium is a large, hot room with loud music, bright lights and plenty of photographers, jostling and generally annoying each other (especially me!). Getting a clean shot is a nightmare, there's virtually no light, what there is can be best described as yellow. A long and fast lens is essential, as is a powerful flash unit. Most of the pros are carrying a number of bodies linked up to quantum packs and multiple flash units.

When a model hits the runway, all automatic settings on your camera will be useless as the subject is bathed in several tens of flashes from all around. This is generally a good point to have a giggle at the people trying to take a picture with their camera phones with led "flash" torch. Many people puzzle over why their PnS cameras can't take a picture. I try and help a couple, and give up, there's no time!

lfw3.jpg


Models, move faster than you can imagine. Although graceful, they stomp down to the end of the runway at a pace us normal shorties would struggle to keep up with. Panning skills are essential, as is a long range zoom, one minute they're here, the next they're over 100ft away.

I made friends with a couple of models and stylists and generally tried to keep away from the fierce security.

Have a look at the rest in the gallery, as ever all comments appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Rob
 
nice work Rob. i like how you caught the girls during make-up and then seeing the end result. i can only imagine what a day from them is like. i'm heading over to see your gallery :thumbup:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rob
Thank you for taking us through the process! Beautiful photos... I looked at the gallery too! Wonderful!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rob
Great work rob. Really like the backstage shots.

I'm interested in how you got an opprtunity like that going backstage.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rob
great series! and crowd photos are really nice... especially photog's crowd
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rob
Thanks for the great comments everyone!

Here's a couple more, as people don't like clicking on links! :)

This is from the edge of the runway, as you can see, there are annoying photographers like me getting in the way!

lfw4.jpg


This is one of Tom, remember Tom? In action helping a stylist with a model.

lfw5.jpg


This is one of the models I met outside. Nice young man. All models drink Red Bull (at that time of the morning!), Evian and smoke cigarettes - stereotype? Maybe, but nearly always true!

lfw6.jpg


Thanks for looking again!

Rob
 
Oh. I like these!
Wow.
Interesting to see in how far you and I almost did the same kind of photography this weekend, and while yours was a fashion show and the models real (adult) models on the stage and backstage, mine were little children, bigger children, teenagers, young adults, older adults, all getting made up for their ballet performance and during the ballet performance. And they did not have proper rooms to make themselves up, either, they had to sit anywhere in the room where there was the stage and the audience (pub hall), whether there was light or whether there was none, and they had to change there, too, it was pandemoneum at first...

My performance pics were try and error only, since I had never done stage photography before and ... I don't have a FAST long lens. Can't afford one. But oh! how I would have liked to have one. Well. There was a second performance tonight (couldn't go) and there will be a third tomorrow afternoon. I might as well go back and try to work on my mistakes from yesterday night ;).

My first "backstage" pics (actually taken ON the stage ;)) are to be found here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42744
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rob
Great shots Rob!

I can see why metering is such a problem with all those light & camera flashes! :confused:

I'm amazed by photo IMG_1244.jpg in your gallery (Crowd) How daunting is that to walk down the catwalk into all those photographers waiting for you! :lol:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rob
Great shots rob, you caught the atmosphere brilliantly. I was gonna be the immature one and ask if you got to see any of the ladies naked, but i won't....this is a better thread than that! good shooting rob :thumbup:
 
Great shots rob. What a cool opportunity to get to do stuff like this.
That wall of photog's is ridiculous :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom