London Street (style/Fashion) Photography

I think #1 would be great, if Dartmouth bloke wasn't in the way.
2, 3, 4 and 6 really don't do much for me, just snapshots to me. 6 has great hair, but there is nothing else there to hold my focus for long.
5, she could be quite a character, but again, just kinda a candid snap to me, there's really nothing to hold my interest. Perhaps if her friend was in frame it would help add something.

Well they are candids, but believe me I was this close to pushing him out of the way but it appeared to be her bf. Blocking my view haha but thanks for your opinion. :) Can't tell people to move in an open market heh but I agree, if we were in a perfect world.

Also what friend are you talking about because she certainly was not with that girl you see. ;)

In number 5, to her left (viewers right) only a peek of glasses, and what may be some period jewelry. They seem to be wanting to bring back post-war era, or 60's style/look.

kudos on coming out of your shell to shoot candid street shots though. I know that can be a tough threshold to get over. I still struggle with it, though have found that it greatly depends on the whole circumstance. It really can be a matter of the right place, at the right time, and some folks lighten up in more "light" settings.

Since I see you added a #7, that too, while is a heck of a head of hair, just doesn't do much for me, it's just a snapshot of some fading pink hair.

I think that candids are a lot more fun when you get someone actually doing something and there needs to be something that the viewer can connect with, something that connects us all as humans, something that folks can kind of relate to or get a feeling from. Seeing a head of hair is just that, it's a head of hair. If it were a face shot, with a cigg dangling, a nose piercing, a sex pistols pin on her leather, and she was flicking you off, that would be a far more interesting shot.

Oh, I miscounted! The thing was that I saw this girl's bow from afar and ran from where I was and back into the congested crowd to follow her and then this huge fat guy was in front of me so I couldn't even get a decent photo of her bow from behind I got frustrated and skipped all of them but the crowd of course still moves and it was just a constant struggle to get a clear shot, I cannot just direct people where to go. I did curse out loud a lot when I missed some shots on the account of a person blocking or someone walking too fast or me tripping. Haha it was really fun, I'm going again next Sunday and this time gonna stop people and ask them for a photo although I hate that because then they tend to freeze up on you.

And yes, this is East London where the style is very punk/vintage/kitsch, especially in Camden Town which was 2 stops away on the train, they're into corsets, pinup, latex, it's like the harajuku of London, heh. I quite enjoy it.

Those might be your ideas of interesting candids, which are generally true but I photographed in a "look at this" way, to people that literally caught my eye even when doing the mundane-st of things. I was attracted to their style not what they were doing really.

Last edited:
I'd consider aiming the camera downward another 20 to 25 degrees or so on several of these. Two of them have an excessive amount of empty sky. The tilted backgrounds, and the bad framing, make these look kind of like creeper shots snapped from hip level. Not sure if that's the effect you were going for.

I'd consider aiming the camera downward another 20 to 25 degrees or so on several of these. Two of them have an excessive amount of empty sky. The tilted backgrounds, and the bad framing, make these look kind of like creeper shots snapped from hip level. Not sure if that's the effect you were going for.
Really? I'm a 5'10 girl and had it up to my head all the time, I was crammed in the busy street, not sure you guys really get how close everyone is to eachother at this market. Maybe the creeper in you senses that? :p Jokes, anyway, thanks, more to learn I suppose. I'm used to directing models not street, this was my first attempt so, yea. :D

That pic of the back of that chicks head was awesome!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back