Long exposure shots in daylight

ben306

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just after some quick advise on how to get long exposure shots in daylight. I have only ever done it at night time, but I keep seeing these water shots with waterfalls etc and want to try something similar myself but not sure how to do it without having an over exposed 'white out' photo.

Any pointers?

Thanks

you need neutral density filters that do not change the colors in any way but bring the light down a few stops so you could get the long exposure and still have a good exposure.

you need neutral density filters that do not change the colors in any way but bring the light down a few stops so you could get the long exposure and still have a good exposure.

Yes to the ND filters. Or, choose a different time.

Ahh right, I shall have to look into that then, am sure I should be able to pick something up for my camera.

Thanks

Ben

Depending on what look you are going for, long exposures are not always needed for the motion-looking waterfall shots, see the one i attached which was shot at 1/20 F7.1 Iso 100 on tripod. Granted it was overcast so in bright light im sure I'd still need a nd filter, but I like the waterfall shot to still freeze a bit of the droplets, while still showing the water movement rather than a real long exposure like the one shown here Waterfall Picture. I found that one through a quick google search.

Just trying to say that there are many ways to photograph the waterfalls, and it isn't always necessary for a "long exposure" of which I think long exposures are 1 second or longer.

Attachments

• $IMG_4036.jpg
    $IMG_4036.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 121
Depending on what look you are going for, long exposures are not always needed for the motion-looking waterfall shots, see the one i attached which was shot at 1/20 F7.1 Iso 100 on tripod. Granted it was overcast so in bright light im sure I'd still need a nd filter, but I like the waterfall shot to still freeze a bit of the droplets, while still showing the water movement rather than a real long exposure like the one shown here Waterfall Picture. I found that one through a quick google search.

Just trying to say that there are many ways to photograph the waterfalls, and it isn't always necessary for a "long exposure" of which I think long exposures are 1 second or longer.

No offense to your photograph personally but that exposure didn't really capture the flow of the water in the way that this poster is suggestnig (i think) (imo)

also if you're not in direct sunlight aperature 22 might be pretty long.

No offense to your photograph personally but that exposure didn't really capture the flow of the water in the way that this poster is suggestnig (i think) (imo)

also if you're not in direct sunlight aperature 22 might be pretty long.[/QUOTE]

Lol that was exactly my point. I wanted to show that there are other ways to photograph motion that won't require as long of a shutter speed. And i just gave my own personal opinion that I don't prefer real long exposures of waterfalls because I feel they don't reflect what I saw when I was photographing. But I have seen many 5-10+ second exposures of waterfalls, they're nice, just not as appealing to my eye.

Check out "photonut's" thread on waterfall and you will see what I'm talking about

Most reactions

Back