Long exposure shots...what am I doing wrong?

Thanks guys! I think I may have narrowed down the problem after reading through this. More info on the environment I was shooting in:
1. I was already using a tripod and it wasn't windy at all (so there probably wasn't much shaking).
2. I was also using a wireless shutter release, so no shaking there.
3. There is no VR on this lens, so it couldn't have been that.
4. I don't think the blurriness was an issue with the time the picture was exposed for (though I will keep in mind all of the advice here posted about taking static pictures of stars vs. star trails).

I think this has to do with an issue of setting my focus to infinity. When I took the pictures, I thought I was setting it to infinity by switching to manual and turning the focus ring completly clockwise to the end (since I don't have an infinity marker on my lens). However, as I started reading online, it turns out infinity isn't always at the end.

So my new question is, how do I focus on infinity without the infinity marker on my lens. Is there a camera setting on the D3100 that I can turn on that tells me when I'm focused at infinity(like the green light that shows up in the viewfinder when you're in focus)?

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Some tips on this stuff in my sig...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back