Long Exposure

tanz1983

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I did search, but there is so much that I can't make it through everything. How do you take a long exposure during evening hours? I try to get motion blurred shots of water from long exposure, but anything over a second, even in the evening light and on ISO 100 with the highest apature, it comes out way too over-exposed.

You wait for the sun to go down!

...but seriously...

you can buy a neutral density filter, or a polarizer could help too... Other than that, there really isn't anything you can do about it. =/

Filters which will be similar to sunglasses for lenses will be your choice so you get the exposure right even when you want to expose for longer than would be needed with the given light. Those would be your first choice, before you go get yourself bigger and slower lenses (my purse would certainly tell me to first look for FILTERS ... lenses are only a dream! ;))

Ok, I did search, but there is so much that I can't make it through everything. How do you take a long exposure during evening hours? I try to get motion blurred shots of water from long exposure, but anything over a second, even in the evening light and on ISO 100 with the highest apature, it comes out way too over-exposed.
Are you using your meter? You can't just arbitrarily set a long shutter speed and small aperture...you still need to meter the light to know if those settings will overexpose the photo.

I suggest using Av mode and setting the smallest aperture (F22, F29 etc) and the lowest aperture. The camera will then give you the shutter speed that will work. If it's not long enough for your needs, then (as others have said) you could use a filter.

Also, moving/splashing water usually produces air and looks white. So when you use a long shutter speed, it just turns into a big white blob....which is hard not to overexpose.

A polarizer would bring down the intensity of the light but it would also remove any surface reflections for any non-metallic surfaces (water, etc.). Bear this in mind. It would do the trick but if you want any blurred reflections then ND's are the way to go.

I'll have to look into a neutral density. I have a polarizer, but it just doesn't seem dark enough.

You can use two polarizers as a variable neutral density filter. There are caveats, however. Here is a link to an earlier thread that explains more.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back