Long Exposure

Zenzanon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm curious to know your guys' thoughts toward this one.
1 minute 40 seconds @ f22.
3278765180_62d7fef5c1.jpg

I fail to see the reason for using such a long exposure. I honestly think it would have looked better with f/8 and a much shorter exposure. There's no lights to catch, no moving water to get motion in....etc.... so I don't understand the reasoning here. That's my thoughts at least.

Well, I shot this with a 150mm and wanted everything in the frame to be in focus, so in order to do that I had to use the hyperfocal distance scale and ended up needing to use f22. It was pretty dark, so even shooting at f4 I would've needed a shutter speed of 2-4 seconds anyway.

There's also a light in the distance in the middle of the sky, its easily visible on the negative but I couldn't get it to scan in at all.

Last edited:
Question: what's the subject of your photo? Aside from asking about long exposures, the photo seems to lack any particular subject or focus.

I would say the photo doesn't have a solid subject. The puddles and overall strange landscape prompted me to shoot the photo. It's more of a photo of a general scene as opposed to a photo with a specific subject within a scene. Do you feel the lack of subject takes away from the photo?

I do like the puddles, but yes -- by lacking anything for my eye to latch on to, it wanders around and then leaves the photo. While the scene is very nice, there's nothing to catch and keep my interest. That's a general problem with photos without subjects -- and yeah, I do that all the time too. Believe me, it's VERY easy to see the beauty in a scene, but have it be lost in the photo!

Ya, I see what you're saying. I guess this would have to be in a series to actually work. Thanks for the honest crit, that's what I'm looking for!

Ya, I see what you're saying. I guess this would have to be in a series to actually work. Thanks for the honest crit, that's what I'm looking for!
I suspect you'll get more honest critiques if you leave out giving exposure information. Few photographers deal with imaging situations measured in whole seconds, let alone minutes.

That way people evaluate your image for what it is and not in the context of how you made it.

I was also wondering if you're afraid you can't spell critique properly. :sexywink:

That way people evaluate your image for what it is and not in the context of how you made it.

That's so true, thanks for the advice. I'm really starting to like this forum, people aren't afraid to voice their opinions.

Oh, and I know how to spell critique, I'm just from the generation that has to abbreviate everything. :lol:

Most reactions

Back