Long Exposure

Quenten

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Took this photo during sunset at Golden Bay, Malta.
Took it with a Nikon d3100 at f22 shutter speed 15 seconds. All critiques are welcome.

$DSC_2466.jpg

Filter used?
Did you adjust anything in the sunset or was this all natural?

That water surely was 'smoothed and made silky'(love this look in seaside photo)! I'd have liked more 'stuff' towards the lower portion of the photo, but that is just me.

Scott (I like it) B

Tad bit underexposed for my taste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tad bit underexposed for my taste

Jk, my brightness was turned down haha. Looks good, real good. I like it.

I love the fogginess of the water, the clouds and the sunset. Good shot for right out of the camera.

Filter used?
Did you adjust anything in the sunset or was this all natural?

That water surely was 'smoothed and made silky'(love this look in seaside photo)! I'd have liked more 'stuff' towards the lower portion of the photo, but that is just me.

Scott (I like it) B

Hi, no filters used in this photo all i did in LR is that i used the gradient filter to boost a bit the colours in the sky. Regarding the water, it is as it came out from the camera with a 15 second shutter speed @ f22. Thanks for stopping by to watch and commenting on my photo :))

Very well composed with the viewer entering from lower left corner. I believe the image would benefit from additional experimentation. Perhaps some structure overall or maybe just the sky? I think it could be improved but not quite sure how.:confused:

In another thread about GNDs someone mentioned how software based GND is nothing as good as using a good GND.
Though, I looked for once the GND feature in lightroom and couldn't find it. I guess I could do an internet help search.

fyi .. good GND (Lee) costs an arm and a leg.
I'm all set on regular NDs with B+W 0.3, 0.6, 1.8, 3.0 screwin and I've been experimenting, but GNDs certainly would help in those landscapes.

In my opinion, GND can really help at sunset or sunrise images. My 3-stop GND is not enough for scenes like that. I am planning to add another 3-Stop hard GND to my collection. I found that the foreground is underexposed using just the 3-stop GND at sunset. You might run into noise issue if you have super long exposure like I posted a few days ago. But I think part of it is my cropped sensor camera, user errors (did not cover the viewfinder), etc...

Have fun all.

I looked at the full-size image and noticed every part of it is either out of focus, or blurred by the long exposure. I expect that of the water and like that effect, but there's no sharpness of the stones or in the land mass in the upper-left corner.

I've been anxious to shoot some moving water (there's no large body of water like that near me), using some Seven5 filters I just got. I am hoping I won't have a similar problem. I like the concept and your composition is good (not great, but still good), but I would prefer to have some sharply focused elements of the piece for my eyes to rest upon.

Jim

Most reactions

Back