Look Up | Perfect Clouds | City Shoot

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had the idea to shoot this style of image for about the last month, but I haven't had the right conditions (or had them when I was able to shoot, that is) until today. The morning was crap--grey, dull, foggy, and rainy. But as soon as I left work around noon, the skies opened up and these perfect cumulus clouds were nice and heavy, and the winds up in the air were strong. I went home, grabbed my gear, and headed out to our closest "city," Hartford CT. For those of you that know the area know that there aren't many proper skyscrapers, but this set of buildings did the trick. I don't usually crop square, but I liked the way it looked here.

Note: I setup off-center, like any newb to this style would, and you can see it's impossible to actually and properly straighten this... so I'll have to go back!

Look Up by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Cheers!
Jake

Also, to those who shoot in cities, how do you protect yourself? I mean, we roll up with thousands of dollars in gear, in sometimes less than ideal areas, so how do you best protect you and your gear? I mean, nobody seemed to pay much attention to me, but I was paranoid the whole time... haha.

Looks great to me. There is nothing that "feels" like it needs straightening when I look at it. Cool shot!

Looks great to me. There is nothing that "feels" like it needs straightening when I look at it. Cool shot!

Thanks! Good to know it doesn't feel off kilter [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm shooting in the city, or out on remote beaches with just me and a couple beach-bums, I really just act natural. The less attention drawn to the gear, the better. I also make a point of saying hi and chatting with anyone that seems to indicate any interest in what I'm doing. Usually I can humanize myself a bit, and I imagine that makes the idea of stealing from be that much tougher.

Awesome shot by the way. No centering needed.

If I'm shooting in the city, or out on remote beaches with just me and a couple beach-bums, I really just act natural. The less attention drawn to the gear, the better. I also make a point of saying hi and chatting with anyone that seems to indicate any interest in what I'm doing. Usually I can humanize myself a bit, and I imagine that makes the idea of stealing from be that much tougher.

Good to know--I did essentially the same. Make sure to bring business cards as well so they know I'm somewhat legit [emoji106]

I also make a point of saying hi and chatting with anyone that seems to indicate any interest in what I'm doing. Usually I can humanize myself a bit, and I imagine that makes the idea of stealing from be that much tougher.

Not only that, it lets them know that you know they're there and you can identify them. I think it's a similar tactic in many retail stores to prevent theft/shoplifting. Making contact with them takes away their anonymity.

However, that might be hard in a large city. People might think you're crazy for saying hi to every passerby. :confused:

Great shot, use of perspective and taking advantage of non-moving buildings...as to being safe, I always pack a pocket Ruger LCP (permitted, of course). I'd shoot to kill if forced, or just do a kneecap as an alternative if really forced, but either or, you're not getting my gear just for the asking. I just wish it had more punch if approached by something larger than a big dog - you know, like a bear (it would likely serve only to piss him off).

Great shot, use of perspective and taking advantage of non-moving buildings...as to being safe, I always pack a pocket Ruger LCP (permitted, of course). I'd shoot to kill if forced, or just do a kneecap as an alternative if really forced, but either or, you're not getting my gear just for the asking. I just wish it had more punch if approached by something larger than a big dog - you know, like a bear (it would likely serve only to piss him off).

See I've thought of carrying, but the likelihood of someone else getting hold of the gun or me actually having to shoot someone makes it, to me, not a good choice. Ya know?

Thanks for all the kind words on the image though. I love having one in my head for a while and then finally being able to make it happen.

Jake

Had the idea to shoot this style of image for about the last month, but I haven't had the right conditions (or had them when I was able to shoot, that is) until today. The morning was crap--grey, dull, foggy, and rainy. But as soon as I left work around noon, the skies opened up and these perfect cumulus clouds were nice and heavy, and the winds up in the air were strong. I went home, grabbed my gear, and headed out to our closest "city," Hartford CT. For those of you that know the area know that there aren't many proper skyscrapers, but this set of buildings did the trick. I don't usually crop square, but I liked the way it looked here.

Note: I setup off-center, like any newb to this style would, and you can see it's impossible to actually and properly straighten this... so I'll have to go back!

Look Up by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Cheers!
Jake

Also, to those who shoot in cities, how do you protect yourself? I mean, we roll up with thousands of dollars in gear, in sometimes less than ideal areas, so how do you best protect you and your gear? I mean, nobody seemed to pay much attention to me, but I was paranoid the whole time... haha.
shot really isn't my thing. When i first opened this i just thought "holy chit that is LOUD". That said, it does seem well executed. Far as shooting in cities. I pretty much blend in and i have lived in some not so nice parts of cities. People usually look at me and just think i am a bum with a camera. LMAO.

honestly, looking at the pics of you and dbj. You both stick out like a sore thumb. You have "i am a young suburbanite, smack me and take my chit " written all over your foreheads.

See I've thought of carrying, but the likelihood of someone else getting hold of the gun or me actually having to shoot someone makes it, to me, not a good choice. Ya know?

Thanks for all the kind words on the image though. I love having one in my head for a while and then finally being able to make it happen.

Jake

avoid bad sections. I don't know where you are considering photographing. But there are neighborhoods in places where even carrying may not help you. As everyone else is too.

Jake

avoid bad sections. I don't know where you are considering photographing. But there are neighborhoods in places where even carrying may not help you. As everyone else is too.

Yeah, I mean I wasn't in a sketchy area, I just always worry about my gear in those situations.

Jake

Yeah, I mean I wasn't in a sketchy area, I just always worry about my gear in those situations.

Even worse street shooting. surprised none of them have ended up dead. OR maybe they have we just don't know about it. The entire "get close " thing is a recipe for disaster i wish people would stop saying stuff like that. Especially if you shoot photograph the wrong person at the wrong time. Remember a year ago i mentioned someone took my photo once on the street and i smashed their camera on the pavement? I wasn't a very nice person back then. I really wasn't particularly mean either though just kind of a temper? But even that was nothing, man there are people out there that will kill you for your shoes. All these new photographers following ALL THIS advice. I actually worry about them. Photograph the wrong person or something stupid like a drug transaction their day is OVA.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back