Look Up | Perfect Clouds | City Shoot

If I'm shooting in the city, or out on remote beaches with just me and a couple beach-bums, I really just act natural. The less attention drawn to the gear, the better. I also make a point of saying hi and chatting with anyone that seems to indicate any interest in what I'm doing. Usually I can humanize myself a bit, and I imagine that makes the idea of stealing from be that much tougher.

Awesome shot by the way. No centering needed.
honestly, looking at the pics of you and dbj. You both stick out like a sore thumb. You have "i am a young suburbanite, smack me and take my chit " written all over your foreheads.

I can't speak for DBJ, but suburban wasn't even a word in my vernacular until a few years ago. With that in mind I'm not quite sure that your hypothesis is an educated one, but so be it. If I'm out shooting I'm usually in all darks or with a hoodie :)

As for the idea of packing a firearm just to protect my gear...I'd never dream of it. I've often found those who say they'd be willing to kill or mortally injure someone have never actually been in a situation where they've had to make the decision whether or not to do so. I'm in favor of concealed carry, for the right reasons. Protecting camera gear isn't one of them. They can have every piece of gear in my bag, it's all insured anyways and that means new gear for me!

If I'm shooting in the city, or out on remote beaches with just me and a couple beach-bums, I really just act natural. The less attention drawn to the gear, the better. I also make a point of saying hi and chatting with anyone that seems to indicate any interest in what I'm doing. Usually I can humanize myself a bit, and I imagine that makes the idea of stealing from be that much tougher.

Awesome shot by the way. No centering needed.
honestly, looking at the pics of you and dbj. You both stick out like a sore thumb. You have "i am a young suburbanite, smack me and take my chit " written all over your foreheads.

I can't speak for DBJ, but suburban wasn't even a word in my vernacular until a few years ago. With that in mind I'm not quite sure that your hypothesis is an educated one, but so be it. If I'm out shooting I'm usually in all darks or with a hoodie :)

As for the idea of packing a firearm just to protect my gear...I'd never dream of it. I've often found those who say they'd be willing to kill or mortally injure someone have never actually been in a situation where they've had to make the decision whether or not to do so. I'm in favor of concealed carry, for the right reasons. Protecting camera gear isn't one of them. They can have every piece of gear in my bag, it's all insured anyways and that means new gear for me!
There ya go. Chameleon...

Like even where i live now (pretty safe area). A few miles away i know of a heroin house where transactions regularly take place, i know a few drug dealers. Sure, i could photograph them. But really, would prefer not to start a ball going down hill that i already know would escalate to a not good place. And i am in a fairly low crime area. The pics i post more urban i am driving too. But someone just shows up, with camera. They have NO IDEA who they are photographing. Just REALLY not a good idea in some cases. Seen a knife put to someones throat, a guy stabbed, my own cousin was stabbed three times. Seen guns pulled. And they say "get close" in street photography. I REALLY REALLY wish before such advice was given someone might perhaps just ASK first about the area they are shooting in. At LEAST ask first.

I don't go into sketchy areas either and the one and only time I was ever given the "evil eye," I was on a hiking trail near Horseshoe Point. I made it clear I did not want to be approached, and when one of them stepped closer, I reached inside my plaid shirt and just held my hand there, never varying my look, but my body language told them this was a bad idea and they left. The thing with a gun is if you aren't willing to shoot, don't carry, and for this lad, I'd already dropped the safety and was prepared to cap his silly butt. Many years ago I learned to shoot with no reservation. I don't think living in a more civilized environment would ever change that kill or be killed demeanor in me.

I don't go into sketchy areas either and the one and only time I was ever given the "evil eye," I was on a hiking trail near Horseshoe Point. I made it clear I did not want to be approached, and when one of them stepped closer, I reached inside my plaid shirt and just held my hand there, never varying my look, but my body language told them this was a bad idea and they left. The thing with a gun is if you aren't willing to shoot, don't carry, and for this lad, I'd already dropped the safety and was prepared to cap his silly butt. Many years ago I learned to shoot with no reservation. I don't think living in a more civilized environment would ever change that kill or be killed demeanor in me.
here is one. Funny as chit. I had a guy call me and tell me he was going to kill me (long story he was upset). So i told the wife to take the kids out for a couple hours so they wouldn't be around. Then i went out and sat on my front lawn with two .45's waiting for him. I really didn't think he would actually be dumbed enough to really show up,or i would have called the police. But anyway, a hour goes by. I'm just thinking {"okay, all talk he ain't showing" and just when i figure i would pack it in and go back in the house i see him coming down the road. He swings in the drive, locks up the brakes (going pretty fast) and now he is on one side of the car, me on the other. I catch a glimpse of the gun in his hand but couldnt tell what it was. so now we are each on either side of the vehicle. I took out, raised up one of mine and say "hey, i got one too!!" and suddenly he scrambles back into the car. Keep in mind he is on my property at this point. so i start kicking the car telling him to gtf out and he has all his doors locked. He won't let me in because i was ready to rip him out of the car at that point. Then he squeals out of the drive just as quick as he showed up. And the stupid moron calls the cops on ME. . So the police show up, question me, leave. And go arrest him. It was freakn hilarious.

You are a nice guy. I'm not nearly so.
Maybe. I have had a few people here that have told me i should have just dropped him. Legally i would have been fine. One of those judgement calls though, hard to make. I guess i really didn't see the need to. If he had a direct line of sight with the gun pointing toward me or fired off a round i would have taken him down. Really didn't want to unless i had to though.. One of those things, once you pull the trigger you can't take that back. Wasn't so much i was hesitating i just wanted to be sure i had to.

I like the perspective and the way the clouds look is really nice. I don't think it needs to be centered either.

I like the perspective and the way the clouds look is really nice. I don't think it needs to be centered either.

Thanks anna!

Maybe. I have had a few people here that have told me i should have just dropped him. Legally i would have been fine. One of those judgement calls though, hard to make. I guess i really didn't see the need to. If he had a direct line of sight with the gun pointing toward me or fired off a round i would have taken him down. Really didn't want to unless i had to though.. One of those things, once you pull the trigger you can't take that back. Wasn't so much i was hesitating i just wanted to be sure i had to.

Sounds like a good story [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nope. Bad day.

Looking at your photo again, like i said it seemed loud to me. But i like subdued things i envision i might hang on my wall. That is all personal preference. This is a well executed, and very POWERFUL image. I can easily see this placed on a wall in more a corporate atmosphere or even in a copy of a business magazine/online wall street journal. something. I would encourage you to submit it to such places, just out of curiousity as it makes a very strong, powerful, bold corporate business like statement.

nope. Bad day.

Looking at your photo again, like i said it seemed loud to me. But i like subdued things i envision i might hang on my wall. That is all personal preference. This is a well executed, and very POWERFUL image. I can easily see this placed on a wall in more a corporate atmosphere or even in a copy of a business magazine/online wall street journal. something. I would encourage you to submit it to such places, just out of curiousity as it makes a very strong, powerful, bold corporate business like statement.

That would be my dream [emoji5]️

Most reactions

New Topics

Back