Looking for a 300mm lens... Any recommendations of brands?

random2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was going to get the nikon 28-300mm lens... but know of tamron and sigma... I want a lens for taking pictures of birds at long range... thanks a million TPF friends...

You can get a Nikon 70-300mm AF lens, either with or without VR. The non VR version sells for around $100.00 as a used lens. The VR version sells for around maybe $400.00 or a little more.

I have the Sigma 100-300mm f/4. I love the lens. I paid a bit over $500 on e-bay for it. It's sharp and focuses acurately and rapidly. I will say, however, that I wish I had something longer. 300mm just isn't quite long enough for smaller birds unless you are sitting on them. It works fine with the 1.4X TC, but that slows it to an f/5.6 and a 420mm lens without IS is very tough to handhold. I wish it had IS (VR in Nikon language, OS in Sigma language). Much slower than f/5.6 and you will find yourself only shooting in broad daylight out in the open. Serious birder photographers go for 500mm or 600mm optics (OUCH $$$). Take a look at birdphotographers dot net.

I was going to get the nikon 28-300mm lens... but know of tamron and sigma... I want a lens for taking pictures of birds at long range... thanks a million TPF friends...

I have a Tamron 70-300 and I am including a 2x teleconvertor.
Im open to offers. Paid about 200 new for them.
Im moving to 2.8 glass otherwise I would keep it.

here is a link to some shots and the for sale thread.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...n-tamron-75-300-f-4-5-6-2x-teleconverter.html

Like I said I have it for 150 but am open to offers.

300 mm is kind of short for shooting birds. Birders typically like twice that, 600mm.

Sigma makes an reasonably priced ($1000) 150-500mm zoom.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back