Photos OK to edit
I am considering the following:
AF-S DX NIKKOR
55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR DX AF-S

and

AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED
FX AF-S

The cost difference is about $200 - I know the difference between dx and fx (I have a d7000), but other than that, is the glass different, higher quality, etc? I am wanting to add a bigger zoom lens to my arsenal, mainly for wildlife shots.

A couple of weeks ago I saw Nikon had the 70-300 available for a good price (refurbished) but now they do not have any. If I wait, what is the chance one will pop up?

advice?

Check out the tamron 70-300mm vc. As good as the more expensive Nikon, but the price of the cheaper one, give or take a little

Check out the tamron 70-300mm vc. As good as the more expensive Nikon, but the price of the cheaper one, give or take a little
thanks - how does it compare to the vibration reduction and focus speed?
I am a novice so still learning.

I own the Tamron 70-300 VC lens, and I tested it extensively along side the Nikon 70-300 VR. The Nikon is a great lens, but I found the Tamron (being a newer design) had much better stabilization than the Nikon. Also the Tamron I ended up buying was actually sharper when shooting wide open especially between 200-300mm. I didn't test focus speeds too much, but from what I've read the only real edge the Nikon has over the Tamron is that in very poor light the Nikon tends to lock in slightly faster. I've done everything from fast running dogs to high speed aircraft at close range and with proper technique I have had very few issues with locking focus.

Neither lens would be a bad choice, but the Tamron as I mentioned is a newer design than the Nikon and therefore slightly edges it out in a few areas. That combined with the lower price compared to the Nikon it really is a great bargain.

This shot as well as this one were taken using my Tamron 70-300 VC.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back