Looking for a better mount for my flash

This one has to face forward as the back is black. Maybe I am setting it up wrong.... But the black part zips shut and so I think it must go forward.... This is what I have
No offense, but that thing looks backward to me.

That is the first one I've seen where the inside seems to be closed. Most of the ones that I've seen are open to the inside, and the black fabric covers the outside.

This arrangement seems to put the convex part toward the subject. That works, of course, but you're going to get spillage. Light spill is very nice for a single portrait, but I don't think I would want to use your setup the way it is shown in the photo.

No offense.

Not offended at all. I am buying a second light set, so I appreciate the feedback on the one I have.

That thing is Silly and overpriced

Looks like you're using it correctly, just a poor design. FWIW, there's really no value in the backing. A traditional shoot-through umbrella would work just as well and not cause this problem.

Ok thank-you. I was sure I was using it correctly. It takes wonderful photos and I like it very much. I may just trim off that arm
You know; you're not locked into that design. Were it me, I would remove the black fabric and just use it as a white umbrella. I see no point in the black fabric at all. None. Unfortunately, now you've got an overpriced white umbrella, but at least you will still be able to use it.

Next one you buy should have the black fabric on the convex side as it's supposed to.

You can buy two 42" ones like that for $20 usd.

Most reactions

Back