Looking for a few good filter suggestions

wharvey86

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just recently bought a new sony a300 dslr and am now in the market for a few decent filters to add to my bag. I currently have a CP and UV filter and was thinking about buying a ND, diffuser, and maybe a cross star 8 point filter. I am not looking to break the bank with these filters so i am looking for a good trade off of value and quality. I am by no means a professional photographer and really only need these filters to add moderate effect to my pictures. If anyone knows of a good brand or place to get some of these filters cheap please feel free to share some advice ;). Or if anyone can think of an important filter that i forgot to mention that i might need.Thank!!

Forget the star filter for now, many people don't realize exactly how to use them and end up dissapointed when it does not do what they wanted. The ND, A clearglass and an 81A ain't a bad idea and maybe a defuser if you want.

I have a 6 pointer, it rarely gets used...

IR filters are fun, have you considered that?

What is the diameter on it?

I have a six or an eight (I can't remember) but it is a 62mm and my only 62mm lenses are too long (or just suck) to use it on with out other equipment I don't have.

Forget the star filter for now, many people don't realize exactly how to use them and end up dissapointed when it does not do what they wanted. The ND, A clearglass and an 81A ain't a bad idea and maybe a defuser if you want.

I don't think a 81A filter would be of much use on a dSLR when you can shoot RAW and easily adjust white balance in PP.

What is the diameter on it?

67mm, I use step up/down rings for the other lenses.

Even though I don't use it much, I'm not planning on getting rid of it if that's what you're getting at... ;)

I was looking into IR photography back when i used a film slr but never really thought about it for my Dslr. How well do these filters work? Does anyone have any examples of some pictures taken with the filters? Also which IR filter would you recommend?

There are two types - one blocks all visible light, the other lets a little through.

I use the 093 (87C) (blocks all visible light) more often.

If you have a tripod they work very well (depends on your camera too, some are better at IR (without modification) than others). I typically get exposures in the 10-30 second range in bright sunlight. I don't have any examples online to post, but if you do a little searching here I'm sure you'll get some results.

Most reactions

Back