Looking for a general purpose lens

MUHCO3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi ,

I'm looking for a general purpose lens for my croup sensor camera Canon 60D , my budget is 200$ max.

I found some with a reasinable reputation in their budget range :

1-Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II for 135$
2-Tamron AF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 LD for 120$
3-Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II for 200$

Any recomendations or suggestions ?

Will this be your only lens, at least for awhile until you can afford another?

Also, what is it you'd like to be shooting primarily? In other words, what MUST it do? Landscapes? People indoors? Children at play? Sports?

Also, what is it you'd like to be shooting primarily? In other words, what MUST it do? Landscapes? People indoors? Children at play? Sports?

Will , most of the time landscapes and some indoor shootings

Will , most of the time landscapes and some indoor shootings
In that case, I would suggest the 18-55mm. It's got the best range for landscapes, which will often be shot at the widest you can get.

For indoor shots, you'll want something with a nice wide end, and it fits that bill best as well, especially on a crop sensor body. The longer lenses would often have you backed up against walls or shooting through doorways into other rooms to get enough distance to fit your subjects in the frame. It also has the slight advantage in aperture, which will come in handy for those indoor shots because it's usually a darker environment than the great outdoors.

Check KEH.com for some great deals on the lens, which you can pick up for maybe about $80 and will be just as good as a new one for much more. With the savings, you'll be able to afford a used tripod, external speedlight, or both. Though they won't be top of the line gear, they'll work, and they'll boost what you're able to do by a lot.

Thank you very much ... I think I'll buy the Canon 18-55mm

Happy New Year :)

Out of the above options your choice is a good one. I'm quite happy with my 18-135 which I paid $250 second hand, near new on Ebay for, gets enough reach for most occasions, and is nice and wide as well. Not sure how much they are in your part of the world. There is a website somewhere full of photos taken with your 18-55 lens only, and has absolutely awesome shots there.

Happy shooting!

Redbaron , thank you ...

Actually 18-135 was my first choice , but I excluded it because of the price ... It's a very good one ...

Happy new year

As mentioned above, a "slightly used" 18-135 can be had for a lot less than new. Given your limited budget, I'd rather wait until I could pick up an 18-135. I had one and used it for everything from portraits, gatherings, city shots, and landscapes. It's a great walk-around lens for just about any situation that may come up and (in the future) might not have time to switch lenses to get the 'shot'.

<edit on 1/3>
I forgot to mention the 18-135 is no slouch for macro work. I took a couple of nice Texas flower closeups this past summer..nice looking weeds to the rest of the world. I was quite surprised at the result.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back