Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got a last-minute shoot booked this weekend and because of the location and some equipment issues would like to be able to use a couple of my smaller umbrellas with speedlights on stands in place of my big hammerheads or monolights. I know there are a dozen different clamps out there, but my two local stores don't have anything in stock - wondering if anyone has come up with a rig to do this already?

How involved do you want to get?

You can start with a couple of C clamps from your hardware store of choice. Get a couple of long nuts to screw onto your light stands along with 2 flat washers apiece and a lock washer; this is to attach the clamps to so that you don't mess up your stands and if you put a lock washer between the two flat washers you can move the umbrella laterally about 60 degrees without having to adjust the stand or have the umbrella too loose to stay in position. Some bungee cords to attach the speed lights to the umbrella if you don't have any.

Now you can just wrap some wire around the umbrella to attach it to the C clamp or get some tubing that's a touch bigger than the umbrella shaft and attach that to the clamp. crimp one end so the shaft doesn't slide all the way down or it you really want to get tricky install a set screw in the tube.

If straight on shooting is what you want then install the tube along the axis. If you'd like to have a little up and down motion along with side to side you'll need some epoxy and install the tube at a 90 degree angle (bailing wire to hold it in place then glue it). When you tighten down the clamp on the long nut you should be able to get nearly 180 degrees (set screws are good for this else use a flat screwdriver to put 3 or 4 crimps along the length of the tube to hold the shaft in place *before you epoxy it*).
HTH

** this is what you're looking for http://www.seekpart.com/company/37887/products/201156113027828.html

Kind of hard to recommend not knowing what you have in the bag of tricks. I keep a bag that has flash holders, clamps etc. but really need to see what you have laying around to make it work. For the most part if you have a way of drilling a hole and tapping out a 1/4-20 thread it should be easy enough. Are you trying to make your own flash/umbrella brachet? to hold both?
-
Shoot well, Joe

Thanks Mike!

Yes, basically a quick and dirty bracket that will allow me to position both speedlight and umbrella on a light stand. It doesn't need to move much as I anticipate using direct lighting from one shoot-through umbrella. I've got a collection of clamps and brackets, stands etc kicking around, but I've never needed to use my speedlights with regular umbrellas before.

Thanks Mike!

Yes, basically a quick and dirty bracket that will allow me to position both speedlight and umbrella on a light stand. It doesn't need to move much as I anticipate using direct lighting from one shoot-through umbrella. I've got a collection of clamps and brackets, stands etc kicking around, but I've never needed to use my speedlights with regular umbrellas before.

This clamp is sturdy made by Pony model 3202 and has holes predrilled to mount what you have with a 1/4-20 bolt.
Amazon.com: 10 Pack Adjustable Clamp 3202HT 2" Pony Spring Clamps: Home Improvement

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks Mike!

This clamp is sturdy made by Pony model 3202 and has holes predrilled to mount what you have with a 1/4-20 bolt.
Amazon.com: 10 Pack Adjustable Clamp 3202HT 2" Pony Spring Clamps: Home Improvement

Those will work for just a speed light but won't hold up an umbrella and a speed light. I keep half a dozen around for back grounds though. ;)

BTW, I wouldn't get less than a 2 inch C clamp and would be happier with a 3 or even a 4 incher.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back