Looking For A Lens

yeah, of course one of the things about the 17-40 is that the 17 isn't really all that wide anymore. I mean, it's relatively wide, but on a xti with the crop it makes it more like a 26ish to 68mm lens.

thus, if you're really going for the wide angle then the 10-20 may serve you better. Also, if you have the kit lens which is the 18-55mm then getting the 17-40 basically just replaces the range you already have (though with a better lens obviously) the 10-20 adds a much wider angle of view than what you have currently.

yeah, of course one of the things about the 17-40 is that the 17 isn't really all that wide anymore. I mean, it's relatively wide, but on a xti with the crop it makes it more like a 26ish to 68mm lens.

thus, if you're really going for the wide angle then the 10-20 may serve you better. Also, if you have the kit lens which is the 18-55mm then getting the 17-40 basically just replaces the range you already have (though with a better lens obviously) the 10-20 adds a much wider angle of view than what you have currently.

Hmm - thanks for that :) So far, once again, the 10-20 sounds like a better deal of it all.

One question though... how is 17 less wide than 10? Cause the way I see it, 17 would be more wide? I am looking at the numbers rather than what they could actually mean.

hmm I wonder if there is a comparison on exactly how much wider 10mm is vs 17. I know my lens, 17-85 is usm, is hell of a lot wider at 17mm than your 18-55 kit lens. heh I am don't know if the much wider front part has anything to do with it...

hmm I wonder if there is a comparison on exactly how much wider 10mm is vs 17

The shorter the focal length, the wider the lens and the wider the field of view (FOV)

18mm - FOV=73 degrees
17mm - FOV=76 degrees
10mm - FOV=106 degrees

Those are diagonal fields of views calculated for a Canon APS-c sensor.

The shorter the focal length, the wider the lens and the wider the field of view (FOV)

18mm - FOV=73 degrees
17mm - FOV=76 degrees
10mm - FOV=106 degrees

Those are diagonal fields of views calculated for a Canon APS-c sensor.

ah thanks. well at around 30% wider the 10-22 lens clearly wins here but how about image quality compared to the 17-40 L lens? from what I have read and heard none of sigma or tamron lenses come even close to the L lenses made by Canon when it comes to build and image quality.

EDIT: a guy on another forum suggested Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 lens and claiming it being both sharper and better built than canon's 10-22. does any of you know anything about that lens? well at 600 dollars and f/2.8 Tokina does look very enticing.

btw lol i hope the thread starter doesnt mind me hijacking her topic :D I am looking for an ultra wide as well

EDIT #2:
found some more info about the Tokina lens

http://photo.net/equipment/tokina/11-16/

http://www.thecamerastore.com/products/catalog/wide-angle-lenses/tokina-atx-11-16-f28-canon-mount

Last edited:
@ Hobbes - Where were you when Overread posted the link about it? lol it has the comparison in there. Sigma 1.4x TC vs Canon 1.4x TC

http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/lens_reviews.htm

And uh, I'd prefer if you made your own topic, since we are looking at buying totally different brand names, no offense. I've never even heard of Tokina before.

I was just wondering about the difference in image quality between Canon 17-40 L (not canon 10-22) and sigma 10-20. but never mind about that since you probably want 10mm. Well I didn't mean to hijack your topic , just curious about the lenses since I dont think I will be able to buy anything until next year. about the Tokina lens, read the last 4 posts in this topic if you want...

http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showtopic=24752489&f=265&st=10

if im not mistaken Tokina is just like Tamron and Sigma, they make third party lenses for the "big boys" but I'll just let the pros on here tell you :p To me brand names are just names as long as they make good lenses I would care less if its called Tokina or Donald Duck

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back