Looking for a photographer in CO for one shot only

I'd like to add that if you aren't interested please don't respond.

OP, generally there are 3 types of pricing structures
1. Low cost session + prints (you have to buy the prints from the photographer and you wont get the digital files)
2. Higher cost session with files (you get the processed digital files so you can do your own printing and pay whatever the lab charges you.) This is what I do.
3. Low cost session with files (usually people that do this are not very good but you are right... once in a while you get a gem with people building their portfolio).

Which one do you want?

EDIT.. actually 4

4. High cost + prints ... this what famous photographers do hahahaaha.

I might have considered doing this for a normal session fee.. but with the attitude, I'll pass! Good luck with it!

I might have considered doing this for a normal session fee.. but with the attitude, I'll pass! Good luck with it!

I apologize for the attitude, I should have toned it back. You have to understand I wasn't looking for opinions on free service, I asked for something off-topic and was hoping to get someone to pick it up. I feel there is nothing wrong with asking for something, if I don't get it, I'll go with plan B, which is to pay for the best option out there. I'd love to know why the first couple of posts felt they were helping this thread? I understand this is a living for some, if not many, on here and I respect that. However, in today's economy I cannot afford this luxury and therefore do not see how my asking hurts.

I can obviously tell by my question free service is a touchy subject and as a design professional in Denver, I know why. However, I also know I was a student a short time back and I begged for opportunities like this. You need experience and I'm sure there is someone in the community who loves photography enough to want to shoot and not care about the dollar value.

I apologize for the attitude, I should have toned it back. You have to understand I wasn't looking for opinions on free service, I asked for something off-topic and was hoping to get someone to pick it up. I feel there is nothing wrong with asking for something, if I don't get it, I'll go with plan B, which is to pay for the best option out there. I'd love to know why the first couple of posts felt they were helping this thread? I understand this is a living for some, if not many, on here and I respect that. However, in today's economy I cannot afford this luxury and therefore do not see how my asking hurts.

I can obviously tell by my question free service is a touchy subject and as a design professional in Denver, I know why. However, I also know I was a student a short time back and I begged for opportunities like this. You need experience and I'm sure there is someone in the community who loves photography enough to want to shoot and not care about the dollar value.

One of the problems is that with the increased capabilities of modern digital cameras.. there are a billion amateurs (with low end equipment and less than a year of experience) out there that have decided to go "PRO" even though most of them shoot on AUTO almost exclusively, and know nothing about lighting, photography, or posing... and do turn out "CRAP"! This was what I was trying to warn you about in my post above... you might get offers for "free work" but 99.9% of it will be "CRAP". But as has been pointed out time and time again, there is a market for that "low end" photography... when the customers want FREE or very low cost photos, and either don't care (or don't know) about quality!

I was assuming you wanted something better.. since you were wanting something comparable to your wedding shots (which I am assuming were shot by a competent photographer).

I seldom shoot professionally anymore (I shut down my studio in the late 80's). I do know a little bit about photography since I have been shooting since the mid 60's. Robin (Schwettylens) does really nice work.. maybe you can come to an agreement with him. Good luck with it!

I know why I responded as I did.

There seems to be the assumption that the camera does so much of the work that the photographer is a small cog that gets swapped in as needed.

That is the same attitude of those people who buy a camera and go pro in a week.
Many of us have spent years honing our abilities and it is a bit insulting to be commodified.

Lew

I know why I responded as I did.

There seems to be the assumption that the camera does so much of the work that the photographer is a small cog that gets swapped in as needed.

That is the same attitude of those people who buy a camera and go pro in a week.
Many of us have spent years honing our abilities and it is a bit insulting to be commodified.

Lew

Fair enough. If I came across with that attitude, that was not the intent. I was just looking for a deal as I can't afford a full sitting fee.

note: got multiple takers from another forum, so it all worked out.

Just a thought for future reference; attitude really DOES make a huge difference!
Had your original post read as it does now, "The only thing is that local photographers want a couple hundred bucks for this one shot which is not feasible for me at this time.." instead of the way it actually read--something to the effect of saying that charging that price was "ridiculous," you would likely not have gotten the responses you got in the first few posts.

Attitude matters, and since we can't SEE you or HEAR you, we have to get a sense of attitude from your words, so HOW you say something is so important. For instance, you could have said:

"We'd like to get this photo updated, but our financial situation currently would not allow us to hire a professional photographer at the average going rates we've seen. So, I'm posting this here because I've seen some of the outstanding work done by some of the TPF community, and I'm hoping to find someone local with the skill level we're looking for who might be willing to work with us to get this one shot."

When you basically BASH a person's profession right off by claiming they are charging outrageous amounts, you put them on the defensive and you've not likely to find many willing to help you out. But if you butter them up and show some admiration and respect, you'll at least stand a chance of someone having compassion for your situation.

That's MY 1.75 cents worth, anyway.

I slipped up on the original post, which is why it was edited. However, I'm not letting the subsequent posters off that easy. If they weren't interested they need not respond. Yes they can, which is why many of us join forums, but the responses were not on topic. If I read something and it doesn't apply to me, I stay away for this very reason.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back