Looking for a small chepa dSLR

qwertyjjj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking for a dSLR that isn;t too bulky but does a lot of things well particularly close ups with good bokeh effects and some other tricks.
I have the following in a shortlist:
Olympus E420
Nikon D40
Nikon D40x
Nikon D60
Canon EOS 300D/Rebel
Canon EOS 350D/Rebel XT
Canon EOS 20D

Are there any clear winnners amongst that or all fairly much the same?

Canon 20d is well specced, 5fps and a solid build and cheap. Out of these this is the one I would go for. I would scratch the olympus simply because you have "bokeh" as one of your wants. Olympus do fine cameras with nice image quality but the sensor on this dslr is slightly smaller than the others and that is one of the factors in trying to get nice bokeh in a shot.I am sure the nikons listed are fine also

Bokeh is a function of the lens, aperture setting used and subject positioning vis a vis the background. Consider the Pentax k-x also -- its compact, and if you are not afraid of manual focus, there are any number of old prime lenses that are compatible (with or without an adapter) that can be had for very cheap.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Canon 20d is well specced, 5fps and a solid build and cheap. Out of these this is the one I would go for. I would scratch the olympus simply because you have "bokeh" as one of your wants. Olympus do fine cameras with nice image quality but the sensor on this dslr is slightly smaller than the others and that is one of the factors in trying to get nice bokeh in a shot.I am sure the nikons listed are fine also

No, not really. It has an affect on the depth of field, which produces the blurring in the background and foreground. Bokeh is the shaping and patterning of the blurred, out-of-focus areas and not how much it is out of focus. Look at a blurred background with nice big balls of out of focus highlights, or a smooth transition between colors. That is bokeh.

Ok then. My info was skewed. Sorry OP.

Canon 30Ds are going for $200-$250 on POTN. I saw one with a grip for $250. I think I may buy one for someone this Christmas. There was an XT on there for $125.

Yes and no. Most people think the same thing, that the term "Bokeh" refers to the volume or size of the out of focus area and not the quality of it. I did for a long time as well and it's quite possible that the OP thinks the same thing, in which case your post would have been in line with his post. Regardless, you provided assistance and helped him out.

Yes and no. Most people think the same thing, that the term "Bokeh" refers to the volume or size of the out of focus area and not the quality of it. I did for a long time as well and it's quite possible that the OP thinks the same thing, in which case your post would have been in line with his post. Regardless, you provided assistance and helped him out.
Thanks. I know the bokeh thing has a few factors and what you said is spot on. I also know that due to fov etc larger sensors enabled a shallower dof and i suppose I would link that to bokeh. It really is the lens that determines the quality of the bokeh

so I ended up bidding and winning a canon eos 400d
Hopefully good enough!

Most reactions

Back