Looking for a tripod head...

TheBiles

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have zero experience with shopping for a tripod and accessories, but I decided on the Manfrotto 055XPROB legs based off the reviews and reputation of Manfrotto. Which ball head would you recommend, and what kinds of features should I be looking for with one? I'd like to keep it under $50 so that my whole tripod purchase doesn't go over $200 (though I'm also looking at the 190XPROB, which would give me $25 more flexibility in the head).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So I have zero experience with shopping for a tripod and accessories, but I decided on the Manfrotto 055XPROB legs based off the reviews and reputation of Manfrotto. Which ball head would you recommend, and what kinds of features should I be looking for with one? I'd like to keep it under $50 so that my whole tripod purchase doesn't go over $200 (though I'm also looking at the 190XPROB, which would give me $25 more flexibility in the head).

I just bought this set-up from bhphoto and very very pleased. Rebates too. I won't mount anything heavier than a 70-200 and this fits my needs as a hobbyist:

Manfrotto 055CXPRO 3-SECTION TRIPOD - MA055CXPRO3

Manfrotto 322RC2 GRIP ACTION BALL HEAD - MA322RC2

Manfrotto 35" TRIPOD BAG (BLACK) f/3011/21/33 - MA3280B

I just bought this set-up from bhphoto and very very pleased. Rebates too. I won't mount anything heavier than a 70-200 and this fits my needs as a hobbyist:

Manfrotto 055CXPRO 3-SECTION TRIPOD - MA055CXPRO3

Manfrotto 322RC2 GRIP ACTION BALL HEAD - MA322RC2

Manfrotto 35" TRIPOD BAG (BLACK) f/3011/21/33 - MA3280B

That is one sexy ball head, but I think it may be out of my budget.

THINK USED!!!! You can get twice the tripod for the money on Craig's List or Used <Your City>. I would look for something along the lines of Manfrotto's 054 series.

Or bump your budget up and buy right the first time. Tripod's and heads are something that if you spend the money up front can last you literally a lifetime. Buying right can include used. The 055 legs are a good set for general use. The 3021XProB was replaced by the 055 and are also an excellent set of legs easily as sturdy as the 055 as they are the same design. The change was in the center column.

Most reactions

Back