Looking for a VR lens for an upcoming vacation

ColoradoFlyBoy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going on a family cruise in December, I have a Nikon D70 and i'd like to pickup a nice VR lens thats appropriate for much of the cruise (inside, outside, shore excursions)

I'm willing to spend $500-800

I'm going on a family cruise in December, I have a Nikon D70 and i'd like to pickup a nice VR lens thats appropriate for much of the cruise (inside, outside, shore excursions)

The 18-200 is an excellent "walkaround" lens although I use my primes for serious shooting.

The 18-200 is an excellent "walkaround" lens although I use my primes for serious shooting.

I currently have 2 lenses..
a Sigma 28-70mm F2.8 EX DG
a Sigma MACRO 105mm F2.8 EX DG

Keep in mind, I'm 14 and have to keep in budget :)

Last edited:
Here's a link to some photos I took right when I got it, keep in mind these aren't shots I took my time on or of any particular interest - they are just samples from various conditions I think people might shoot in and some to just show the range it's capable of. No flash, no post processing, what you see is what you get kind of photos.

Shot at high noon as well.

Sigma 18-250 HSM OS First Run - The Nauman Family- powered by SmugMug

I've used this lens at indoor events such as a Minnesota Twins game in the dome, photographing my kids at dance class, wildlife, landscapes, close ups, etc.

With the extra money you can pick up a Nikon SB-400 flash for about $100 or so and really have a nice compact all in one rig to have with you for almost any occasion you'll find yourself in.

I happen to think the 18-105VR is one an amazing deal. It's supposedly wicked sharp and you can pick one up for $339 new. The used market is likely flooded with them as well, considering its the kit lens for the D90.

I happen to think the 18-105VR is one an amazing deal. It's supposedly wicked sharp and you can pick one up for $339 new. The used market is likely flooded with them as well, considering its the kit lens for the D90.

One problem with the 18-105 is that I already have almost all of that range with my sigmas that i currently have, but they lack VR. The 18-250 would give me a lens with VR, while extending what i have for focal range. if adding $200 gives me a 105-250 VR lens ontop of the 18-105.. I think that $200 would be well spent?

Vacation super zoom lenses. The following link has a comparison between them (Canon, Sigma and Tamron)

Juza Nature Photography

Edited: According to the link, between Sigma and Tamron with VR/IS/OS/VC, the sigma seems better. It is funny that the 18-270mm Tamron, it reported as 18-230mm real vs 18-220mm for the Sigma and the non-VC Tamron.

Most reactions

Back