looking for a well priced macro lens for my rebel

ReptileLover

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey guys. im looking for a macro for my Canon rebel XS. i saw the ones on canon.com, but i was wondering if there were any other similar/cheaper brands out there. thanks, Parker.

sorry, i shoot nikon. But, if canon has "older" lenses, i would check them out. I got a 105mm 2.8 micro for my d200, and it is the 97-06 version. I picked it up for $430, when it originally sold for over $800. And it was worth every penny. So old/ used is never a bad thing.

You could add a set of $170 extension tubes to your 75-300mm lens to allow it to focus closer. Unfortunately, the 75-300 just doesn't provide very sharp images.

The $530 EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM provides great photos. It's recently been replaced by the new $950 EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, but the older lens is still available in most stores.

Slightly less expensive options would be the $460 Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro or the $480 Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro. For the small difference in price, I went with the Canon lens, which has internal focusing.

Here's a review:
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens Review

The least expensive option for quality macro photos may be to pick up an old manual focus 1:1 macro lens cheap (<$200) and then adapt it to your EOS camera with a $20-$50 adapter ring.

ok, thanks. what is a macro kit? i saw one on lensbaby for 37$, but it was only for their lenses. it made the focus length much shorter. is there anything like this for other lenses?

Since "Don't forget the EF-S 60mm" always seems to come up, some food for thought on Canon macro lenses from the review that cfusionpm posted.

If you are looking for a great macro lens, the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens is a very good choice. It offers excellent optical performance and middle of the road focal length, working distance and size/weight. Price makes this lens a decent value. The 100mm focal length makes a decent tight portrait lens as well.

Back to the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens - it would not be my first choice for a macro lens (aside from in-studio photography), but it makes a very good 60mm fixed focal length general use lens on an EF-S compatible Digital SLR Body. Since these bodies have a 1.6x FOVCF, the EF-S 60 will frame subjects similar to a 96mm lens on a full frame body.

Having macro capability in the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens is definitely a nice feature. If you are using a backdrop for a subject that does not run away, the EF-S 60 will do a great job. Product photography
is one such use.

Probably the best value in Canon macro is the 100mm f2.8. It's and EF lens so it goes with you no matter where you gear goes, it is a nice middle of the road lens between the 60 and the 180L and since it has just been replaced with the new 100mm L version there are plenty of the old models still around new at a good price.

It would be helpful if you were to post the kind of macro you intend to do.

Most reactions

Back