looking for advice for a new lens for my T2i

socmoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all! I have a T2i but eventually want to get a full frame camera as I gain more experience (and save $) so if Canon lens I would need EF. I use my camera for mainly photos of the beach, sunsets, foliage, my daughter and friends (portraits) and my daughter's color guard team (fast action, low light). I just bought a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC lens and am excited to try that out for next year's color guard season. I am going to list all of my lens and I am hoping I can get some advice on which to get rid of. With that money, I am thinking I could use a Canon 24-70 f/4 or Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 (something lightweight for the beach/sunset/foliage shots?) or thereabouts but I am interested to see what others think.

the Tamron 70-200 I mentioned
Canon 100mm F/2
Canon 50mm f/1.4
nifty fifty
18-55 kits len
55-250 kits len

(last two I used only a few times in the 3 years I have had the camera)

Thanks so much for any thoughts/advice!

Maureen

It looks like you have two 50mm? Personally I did not like the focal length at all using the 50mm on a 1.6 crop. But I like it a lot on my full frame.
This is what I would do but it's just my opinion. I would get rid of the 18-55 and the 55-250. Then I would do a lot of research on what 50mm is best. Everyone that ownes the 1.4 will tell you it is better but I did some research and found that the 1.8 actually rates higher. Make your own decision and sell the other one. Then I would buy a 17-55 2.8 Canon. It's a ef-s lens but you will be able to sell it or almost the exact same amount as you paid for it. I sold mine after a using it for a year and it cost me the same as if I had rented it for the weekend.(they hold their value). The 17-55 is a very good lens and you will need the wide side if you do any land sea scape shoots. A 24mm is way to wide on a crop camera in my opinion.

It looks like you have two 50mm? Personally I did not like the focal length at all using the 50mm on a 1.6 crop. But I like it a lot on my full frame.
This is what I would do but it's just my opinion. I would get rid of the 18-55 and the 55-250. Then I would do a lot of research on what 50mm is best. Everyone that ownes the 1.4 will tell you it is better but I did some research and found that the 1.8 actually rates higher. Make your own decision and sell the other one. Then I would buy a 17-55 2.8 Canon. It's a ef-s lens but you will be able to sell it or almost the exact same amount as you paid for it. I sold mine after a using it for a year and it cost me the same as if I had rented it for the weekend.(they hold their value). The 17-55 is a very good lens and you will need the wide side if you do any land sea scape shoots. A 24mm is way to wide on a crop camera in my opinion.

Thanks for the advice Shaylou....Yes, I do have two 50mm...used my nifty fifty exclusively the first year or so I had the camera....so defintely one of them can go...will goback and compare the two to see which one to sell...I was thinking the two kit lens could go...barely used at all. I am going to research the 17-55....good to know it retains its value for when I would want to upgrade to a full frame. Something to think about....if anyone else has thoughts/advice, it would be appreciated....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back