Looking for advice on a DSLR

SS23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I am looking to get some advice from professionals and enthusiasts about what equipment and practices I need to get a professional outcome. First, let me state that I know very little about photography. My goal is to create crisp, clear demonstration videos of products that a fellow businessman is selling. The catch is that the products are emergency vehicle lights... and my experience proves that it takes the right camera, the right lens, and probably some more elements (& knowledge) to do it right. Before you start throwing sticks and rocks at me... I'll admit that the point-and-shoot camera is not ideal for... well... much, especially what I am trying to do. I realize that, and I've had to stay within my means to provide "something" as opposed to nothing. I am tired of the crappy quality of the demonstration videos, so I am here to ask qualified, non-biased people for some guidance.

From the research I've already done, I "think" I need a DSLR. Emergency vehicle lighting products present a great deal blinding light, but I don't have to tell you... you've all undoubtedly seen police, fire, and EMS crews on the side of the road at some point. I've learned that focus can be tricky, and the right lens (or filters?) is a must.

I will mainly be making videos of these products... this will allow me to demonstrate the flash patterns as well as color and intensity. I would imagine that I need a camera capable of 60FPS video.

That's about as far as I got before terms and brand preference started to make my research very clouded.

My budget isn't very high, but I am a firm believer in getting what you pay for. I would imagine that what I need isn't as high-end as enthusiasts like yourselves would need, so I've been aiming at the $1500-$2000 range (saving up).

I would greatly appreciate your brand recommendations and any advice on how to properly film/photograph a bright light source.

Thank you

Most reactions

Back