$10k Retirement present from me to me

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all.

My life has got to the point of thinking about retirement. I have a budget to buy a camera system of about $10k and i am looking for some opinions on what I should get.

Please consider the following points:

- i am building this system from scratch
- i have zero existing brand loyalty
- macro + video + landscape + product
- i have never owned a high cost camera system
- i already have a high end computer with all the software i need

go on !! have a virtual spend for me.

CHEERS

Spend the $$$ on glass, splurge even, but buy lenses you will actually use rather than trophy, "must have," or "Holy Trinity" zoom ensembles. Bodies? Frankly, I'd go for prosumer models whose performance crowds pricier "pro" cameras. This approach makes upgrades far less painful, too. If you need it, a good tripod and several heads that suit your interests is worth a look. Your choice, naturally.

So I should rename this thread to:

Definition of frustration.

I cant seem to post a pic for some reason?????

Anyway...... imagine a picture of Nikon Z8 Body + MC-105s_F2.8 + 28-74 F2.8 in their boxes in a stack on my kitchen worktop.

Now imagine me looking at that pic from 3000 miles away while I work in the Middle East.

Frustrating - Just a bit....

CHEERS
JBO

First of all what format? Crop sensor, full frame, medium format. Then are you more comfortable with a DSLR or a Mirror less?

Boy $10K to spend on a new camera set up! I envey you! I think my present DSLR, although old, fills my needs very well. But your not talking about filling a need I think, your talking about a retirement toy. Actually I'm to cheap to simply buy something for no other reason than I want it, except a new puppy that is. Been looking around at point and shoot's and stumbled into some Leica's. Now I simply can't bring myself to lay out that kind of money for even a DSLR, sure not gonna do it for a point and shoot! But If I had the money, then no problem. Your gonna spend the money on something anyway, get something special! I was at a field trial years ago and lady there had a Lecia and she actually let me touch it. Boy was that a nice camera! If I had the money and could get one without worrying about price, I'd get one in a heart beat! All the stuff you could get for that kind of money with a DSLR wouldn't mean much to me. I recall having a real bad case of I want's for a Hasselblad X-Pan years ago, boy is that a nice one. Well I was single and doing alright so simply decided I needed it! have a nephew that is a working pro and he saw it and fell in love, gave it to him and I feel good about that! Anyway, with that kind of money for camera gear, I'd have that Leica. In fact B&H has one for a bit over half what your talking about. Point and shoot like that and you wouldn't have to leave your camera home were ever you went!

Hi all.

My life has got to the point of thinking about retirement. I have a budget to buy a camera system of about $10k and i am looking for some opinions on what I should get.

Please consider the following points:

- i am building this system from scratch
- i have zero existing brand loyalty
- macro + video + landscape + product
- i have never owned a high cost camera system
- i already have a high end computer with all the software i need

go on !! have a virtual spend for me.

CHEERS
Well here is my offering based on the 20 odd years to get to my current kit
first I am canon based so can not suggest others
second I don’t know about the latest r series
as others have said invst in good glass. For me it’s canon l series
you will probably change the camera over time
if you have a choice like the canon l series 70 200 go for the one with the lower f stop.
a good tripod that will take at least twice the planned weight, you will be supervised what you add later
so my shopping list
canon series 1.5 and 2 times converters
the canon 5d mk 4
100 400 f4.5
70 200 f 2.8. It’s heavier than the f 4 ver but that extra option in low light
100 mm prime
70 105 f 4
nifty fifty prime f 1.8 not l series
16 35 l series
extra batteries and mem cards
the pc and photoshop plus decent photo printer

Thanks for all the replies.
My goal was to setup a small retirement job. i will try to get work as i have a very specific business model in mind.
I settled on Z8 as it seemed the best choice for my plan.
i think pic is now working:
IMG-20230614-WA0002.jpg

ahhh thats better.

i always promised myself that i would buy a high end camera when i retire. 40 years later here we are.

i intend to bore you all relentlessly when i get back to UK with all the projects i have in mind.

CHEERS

You’re an experienced photographer so you know that the equipment has very little to do with the output. Find a body that feels good in your hands and has the latest technology. Buy one or two fast lenses and a solid tripod. Spend what’s left on a nice photo tour someplace that’s on your bucket list.

You’re an experienced photographer so you know that the equipment has very little to do with the output. Find a body that feels good in your hands and has the latest technology. Buy one or two fast lenses and a solid tripod. Spend what’s left on a nice photo tour someplace that’s on your bucket list.
Thanks for the comment.
I have hands like shovels so Sony / FUJI feels fiddly. Z9 feels great but Z8 is so much cheaper. Liked GFX 100S but choice of lenses was an issue.
GODOX is next on my list. MF-12 MAYBE??
Anyone know a dedicated remote trigger for Z8??? I cant seem to find any, want to avoid phone apps if possible.

CHEERS

Thanks for the comment.
I have hands like shovels so Sony / FUJI feels fiddly. Z9 feels great but Z8 is so much cheaper. Liked GFX 100S but choice of lenses was an issue.
GODOX is next on my list. MF-12 MAYBE??
Anyone know a dedicated remote trigger for Z8??? I cant seem to find any, want to avoid phone apps if possible.

CHEERS
I don’t know much about the Z8 or Z9 but in my opinion, when deciding between 2 options, don’t let a cheaper price be the final determinant, especially if either model fits in your budget. If that brand/model feels right, get the latest technology so you won’t have to upgrade as quickly or have FOMO when you want to track a bird or do an internal focus stack or a severe crop.

Have fun , look forward to being overwhelmed with pics

I think you made a good choice. Exactly what I thought of, after reading your first post. Amazing system.

Have fun , look forward to being overwhelmed with pics
oh be careful what you look forward to....
I am primarily a stills guy, of course I will have a fiddle with video, and I dont need extra battery life of Z9. I also dont need the Z9 extra function buttons so Z8 was a no brainer.
My mind is now working overtime on creating the lighting for my studio, by studio I mean garden shed.
CHEERS

It’s always fun to follow someone’s journey so keep them coming
I look back at my images, I never realised how much my wife influenced my photography,

It’s always fun to follow someone’s journey so keep them coming
I look back at my images, I never realised how much my wife influenced my photography,
Thanks for the comment.
My photographic journey started a very long time ago. I have always gone with minimalist equipment, especially using phones for macro and landscapes. The best camera I have owned up til now was a FUJI sperzoom which I still own and will use. 1200mm on a crop sensor gives some unique effects.
Z8 is a total learning curve for me. At least it will be when I get back to UK in August.

CHEERS

Most reactions

New Topics

Back