Looking for advice, photographing sailing yachts

cfaulds

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My dad is competing in the Fastnet sailing race, and I'm going down to see them off, and thought I'd take some photos.

The narrowest point is 1.25 kilometers (1,250 m) wide, however it is likely that the yacht will be approximately 500m away.

The yacht itself is just over 10m long and I'll be photographing it from the side - it will be racing at the time of shooting, so it will be moving.

I was wondering if you had any advice about this, and what lens you think I should use? (I'll be renting a long lens for it).

I have a Canon 500D.

Thanks in advance!
Callum

I would rent the longest glass you, can preferably a 600mm f4. You'll need either a GOOD monopod or tripod & gimbal to go with it. Even at that, I suspect that there's going to be a lot of empty space in the image. Hopefully you'll be able to position yourself such that you can capture it on a closing course, and ideally, when they're close-hauled. I would definitely research the prevailing and forecast winds in the area, and talk to you father about what sort of posture he anticipates being in at the various points to help you decide on the best location.

I would rent the longest glass you, can preferably a 600mm f4. You'll need either a GOOD monopod or tripod & gimbal to go with it. Even at that, I suspect that there's going to be a lot of empty space in the image. Hopefully you'll be able to position yourself such that you can capture it on a closing course, and ideally, when they're close-hauled. I would definitely research the prevailing and forecast winds in the area, and talk to you father about what sort of posture he anticipates being in at the various points to help you decide on the best location.

Apparently after seven years on this board, (having been a supporting member for half of that), and 7500+ posts, I can't be trusted to have a link in my signature. Really nice TPF!!! :grumpy:

My website: johnsphotography.ca
(Don't forget to put the 'WWW' in front of that!)

Ask me about the TPF mentoring program.

You can fix it now. It was a bug with the system.

Definitely get the longest glass you can. You will still have some problems trying to reach out 500m. However, you should wind up with some good crops later on. Listen to what Tired Iron said about talking to your dad and figuring out where he thinks you should be,

Most reactions

Back