Looking for C&C. Just getting back and need to brush up

RoCoFF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys and gals. I'm looking to get back into the swing here and thought with yesterdays weather it was a good time to try my hand outdoors. Now just a heads up I do not have any real editing software as of right now so anything that was done by me was done with Windows Live Photo Gallery. I am also terribly uneducated in the art of post processing.

As for the first 2 pictures, these were taken outside in the parking lot of my station. The sun was quite bright and there was little cloud cover. I am shooting with a D300 and a 50mm F/1.8D. The .exif data should be attached to the photos. I was having a little trouble with exposure. I was shooting in aperature priority mode, auto WB and setting my own ISO. Thanks ahead of time for the help!

mustang4_zpsd4aff0b9.jpg

mustang2_zps89753d7e.jpg

This third picture was just about the opposite for me with issues. It was taken indoors using only natural lighting coming through the window next to the table to the right of the photo. I was using the same camera and lens for this photo. Again, I was shooting in Aperture Priority mode, auto WB and setting my own ISO.

background_zpsc1511266.jpg

If you're doing car shots, go look at some car brochures and websites.

What you have here is just inventory shots. "Here is a car. Next!"

The badge one, I imagine, would be very nice for people who know/knew those involved.

You look to have some focus issues in general, too... or lens quality issues maybe? Maybe it's just shallow DOF. Not sure, but they're a little off.

I agree with Manaheim. Look at the first one. The logo that reads "GT-CS" is in sharp focus however the front license plate is not. With the abundance of light that you had for the photo there is no reason not to use a wider aperture to get the whole thing in focus. The second is the opposite in that the license plate is in focus and the "GT-CS" is not.

I assume you mean smaller aperture? :)

It very much may be a DOF issue. I was shooting wide open and I remember several others that were out of focus.

I meant the badge shot.

Ah. There you have it.

Don't do that. :)

Or at least just be mindful of the potential impact when you do.

luckily, DOF can be an easy fix. just stop your lenses down a bit and try them again.
as for editing software...if you don't want to spend any money on it right away, try GIMP, its free.
lightroom is fairly inexpensive, and while it isn't quite a real "alternative" to Photoshop, it does most of what you would need to do to a photo as far as basic editing goes.
90%+ of our photos are done just in lightroom.

Looking back, I may have been better off closing down to f/2.8 or so and using a tripod.

Lol, so I just won't do that again.

luckily, DOF can be an easy fix. just stop your lenses down a bit and try them again.
as for editing software...if you don't want to spend any money on it right away, try GIMP, its free.
lightroom is fairly inexpensive, and while it isn't quite a real "alternative" to Photoshop, it does most of what you would need to do to a photo as far as basic editing goes.

I am nearly positive that I will be getting lightroom or elements once I enough pennies gathered together. Just a matter of time at the moment.

I am nearly positive that I will be getting lightroom or elements once I enough pennies gathered together. Just a matter of time at the moment.
\

we LOVE lightroom...but we also have photoshop CS5 as well.
if choosing between the newest PS elements and lightroom....thats a tough call. elements lets you do some editing that you cannot do in lightroom. your best bet is do download the trial version of each and try them out for yourself.

Personally I seldom use Photoshop or Lightroom. I have exactly zero use for Lightroom, can't stand it even though I have a copy. I also have a copy of Photoshop CS6 but don't care for it either. I personally prefer Nikon Capture NX2.

Personally I seldom use Photoshop or Lightroom. I have exactly zero use for Lightroom, can't stand it even though I have a copy. I also have a copy of Photoshop CS6 but don't care for it either. I personally prefer Nikon Capture NX2.

we are still using the older CS5...feel free to send me your CS6 if you cant stand it...we will happily provide a loving home for it.

we are still using the older CS5...feel free to send me your CS6 if you cant stand it...we will happily provide a loving home for it.

It's already registered to me, sorry ;)

The only reason I got it was because one of the companies I buy stuff from had a 24-hour special on it for $250. I don't really dislike it, but I prefer Capture NX2. I used Photoshop for years back when it was really the only good editor available (version 3, I think) but got sick of Adobe's upgrade policies.

For that first shot, something to be mindful if is shadows when mixed with direct sunlight. When you shoot a subject in direct light from the shadow side, you end up setting yourself up for a dynamic range challenge. You will have to balance the bright fight to avoid blow out, but still maintain detail in the shadow. I personally avoid this situation as much as possible, and in this case would have shot from the opposite side, moving the vehicle if I had to.

The second shots is a little tight in the rear, I would probably have left a little space back there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back