Looking for cheap external flash.

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Will all hotshoe flashes work with my D40? Or are some electronically incompatible? Lets say my budget is $75. Is there any cheap external flashes available in this range?

Most modern flashes will work with your camera at least in the manual mode, however you won't have TTL flash-metering. Before you use any flash that is not listed as Nikon-compatible, ensure you do some research and verify that the trigger-voltages are appropriate*. If you're on a serious budget, look for used Sunpack or Sigma flashes which are Nikon compatible.

*Translation: I strongly recommend against using a flash which isn't meant for Nikon, but many will work to some extent.

But if the manufacture says it's safe and you find out the flashes voltage rating and it's within spec, then there's no downside to using it.

Sunpak also makes dedicated units for Canon and Nikon with different price ranges.

One thing to look for in even cheep flashes is the ability to adjust output. Many don't which is pretty limiting. Make sure trigger voltages are not too high... but if your camera says 250V is fine then ok but I personally wouldn't trust it. As already posted, auto TTL anything is probably not going to work with these flashes.

I like my Sunpak 422D that gets used on many of my cameras both Digital and Film. Trigger voltage is low, swivel, tilt, and power is adjustable via a slider. The only bad thing about it is that it doesn't have a zoom head.

Two words: Waren Tee.

But if it's withing spec, it'll work fine and you won't have any problems with it.

but if your camera says 250V is fine then ok but I personally wouldn't trust it.

You guys are paranoid. Is it that or do you not trust that the manufactures know what they're talking about?

You guys are paranoid.

I agree. Most of the true flash voltage ruining DSLRs stories come from the 6 volt rating of the Canon 10D. Canon has recognized that was a mistake, and gone back to 250 volt ratings. I've been using Vivitar 285HVs on 20Ds, 5Ds, and 40Ds with no problems.

I agree. Most of the true flash voltage ruining DSLRs stories come from the 6 volt rating of the Canon 10D. Canon has recognized that was a mistake, and gone back to 250 volt ratings. I've been using Vivitar 285HVs on 20Ds, 5Ds, and 40Ds with no problems.

I kept hearing all these horror stories about how you'll ruin your camera with anything over 6v and that all digital cameras can only survive less than 6v. I went poking around and found out that was true...five years ago. Pretty much everything after the 10d on Canon's side is rated at 250v and I think d50+ on the Nikon side.

Could be true... perhaps I'm just being paranoid BUT I still have cameras that cannot handle high trigger voltages. My elan IIe, Samsung GX-1L, and Epson R-D1 for example.

But if it's withing spec, it'll work fine and you won't have any problems with it.

Okay, and on the off chance that there is a problem, and the condenser shorts out and dumps 4000v into the hot shoe and destroys the camera's board, try telling Nikon that it was a flash that wasn't meant to work with a Nikon camera and see how far you get.

Okay, and on the off chance that there is a problem, and the condenser shorts out and dumps 4000v into the hot shoe and destroys the camera's board, try telling Nikon that it was a flash that wasn't meant to work with a Nikon camera and see how far you get.

How many off chances have you heard of that happening?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back