Looking for cropping suggestions, folks.

thebeatles

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this photo with my old canon powershot point and shoot, (which got stolen, but that is another story,) a couple years ago and thought I may try to do something with it. How would you folks go about cropping this? C & C is, of course, welcome ;) Thanks!

1395.jpg

I'd think about the underexposure of the woodpecker and the tree, first.

Then I'd be concerned with the soft focus of the bird.

Then I'd think about a possible crop.

I'd show you what I mean, but you don't allow editing of your images.

By the way, most of the forum members are asleep from 1 AM till around 7 AM or so. :lol:

If you aren't going to print it, then 4x5 on woody should look ok.

You have Woody dead center, which is not where you want your subject usually.

Since he is on a tree, you may want the photo to have height, and the grass behind him does nothing..

Crop the shot so Woody is in the uper left of the frame about a third of the way from the left edge and a third of the way down from the top..

By the way, most of the forum members are asleep from 1 AM till around 7 AM or so. :lol:

+1
Once you get down everything for a great exposure then you can just worry about the crop.

I'd show you what I mean, but you don't allow editing of your images.

Thanks for the advice :thumbup: I will have to allow my photos to be edited, I sorta forgot that I declined that option :blushing: And yes, I am an insomniac :lol:

Looks like bird is out of focus. If that is the case then just call it an 'almost' keeper. Trash and try again. I know, good close ups of piliated woodpeckers are hard to get. But,what you want is "good".
Cropping advice? Hit the delete button. Sorry.

You have Woody dead center, which is not where you want your subject usually.

Since he is on a tree, you may want the photo to have height, and the grass behind him does nothing..

Crop the shot so Woody is in the uper left of the frame about a third of the way from the left edge and a third of the way down from the top..

Thanks! Is that a general rule to have the subject in the upper left?

Looks like bird is out of focus. If that is the case then just call it an 'almost' keeper. Trash and try again. I know, good close ups of piliated woodpeckers are hard to get. But,what you want is "good".
Cropping advice? Hit the delete button. Sorry.

Yeah it sucks that I did not have a decent camera at the time :thumbdown: The camera did not have manual focus capabilities and I suppose it just focused on the tree bark :lol: I guess that's why I haven't touched this photo in 2 years, I must of had a moment of bad photo denial and that is why I was trying to save it. Good call though I suppose.

I took this photo with my old canon powershot point and shoot, (which got stolen, but that is another story,) a couple years ago and thought I may try to do something with it. How would you folks go about cropping this? C & C is, of course, welcome ;) Thanks!

1395.jpg
Just a quick example using the composition guideline, the Rule-Of-Thirds:

1395.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back