Looking for equipment best for action sports:

iHTCHBK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am an aspiring action sports photographer.I have owned a Nikon SLR but back then I had no clue what I was doing and currently I own a simple point and shoot.I am not looking for a high dollar camera but something I wont get bored with or use to it's full potential.Here is what I am looking for in the camera:

-flash sync of 250th of a second
-quick shutter speed capabilities for sequencing
-auto focusing

Basically something that is great for action sports,cars on a track and other faster moving subjects.Any help is greatly appreciated.

:thumbup:

I was told to check out the Canon Rebel series - XSi

I wouldn't call an XSi a high dollar camera.

A D300 sounds like a good start though.

51AF points, 8fps, flash sync of 1/250th AND you can use the nikon speedlights wirelessly---even in high-fp.

if you don't know what any of that means, then a D5000 would work just fine.

more important then the camera in my opinion is the lens you use.

Depending on the sport i would decide which camera has the best options for you.

And the big question is budget...

I wouldn't call an XSi a high dollar camera.

A D300 sounds like a good start though.

51AF points, 8fps, flash sync of 1/250th AND you can use the nikon speedlights wirelessly---even in high-fp.

if you don't know what any of that means, then a D5000 would work just fine.

I wasn't saying it was high dollar,someone told me it seems best and great for the price.

more important then the camera in my opinion is the lens you use.

Depending on the sport i would decide which camera has the best options for you.

And the big question is budget...

I have read alot up on the lens's the pro's use and other great photographers of bmx,fmx,skating,etc..
As far as the sport planned mainly bmx alittle skating here and there and of course just all around fun shooting family,friends on the side.

My budget honestly is alittle low I'd say under $1k for starters.But hey we all got to start somewhere that's about all I can fork out for now.

Your best bet is to spend on a good fast lens. Even a lower priced body from any of the manufacturers will give you what you need. Now how big of a lens you need deppends on how close you can get to the action. For BMX a really fast 50mm lens may do the trick as you might have access right at the track side.

Basically for good stop action it would be good to have a f/2.8 lens or faster. That will give you the most shutter speed latitude for different lighting conditions (dark overcast days).

Look at used Nikkon D300 or used Canon 40D. Look up the specs on those and go from there.

Just get a cheap, old Nikon D200 (5 FPS... not that bad considering your budget) and a 50mm f/1.4 and you're set.

Just get a cheap, old Nikon D200 (5 FPS... not that bad considering your budget) and a 50mm f/1.4 and you're set.

That means that he would need to get a little too close to those race cars to get any meaningful shots... lol

There is no one cheap answer to his question. Action sports outdoors in the daytime you can get away with almost anything, but the moment it starts getting dark... uh-oh, blur city. :)

That is when something like a D300 and a Nikkor 70-200 F/2.8 are likely the best answer to his needs. This camera/lens will also keep him happy for years.

All are posibilities but most would be at least 2x or 3x his budget. 2nd posts states less than $1,000! That will not get a used D300 let alone a lens as well. Or a 40D and fast lens used!

He might get a Used D80 and a used Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 with that budget. And that would be just fine for a start! I agree on fast glass. But he cannot get a new body and lens, or even used in the better bodies and glass.

In summary you budget is very tight. $1000 get's a start but your best bet is definatly second hand.

KEH have the following second hand :-

D 80 10.2 M/P WITH 18-135 F3.5-5.6 G WITH BATTERY & CHARGER (SD CARD ), DIGITAL SLR INTERCHANGEABLE LENS CAMERA OUTFIT $849

Lens is a bit short on focal length but it's a respectible start.

Thanks I'll look into each answer and see what is best.I honestly do not need the best for $1k just something respectable.I could always but another lens down the road..

Thanks I'll look into each answer and see what is best.I honestly do not need the best for $1k just something respectable.I could always but another lens down the road..

I am thinking the opposite. I think a lens should be your priority, then a body. The lens will be the speed control for you. Even if you have a body that does 8 frames per second and a shutter up to 1/8000, if you have a slow lens that will only give you 1/60 or so in the current lighting conditions. Your not going to get any shots! Especially of quick moving objects! For doing racing, shutter speed is your friend. With a slow lens your not going to get it, unless your always in nice bright light.

Honnestly any body will allow you to take great pics of cars / bikes racing by. Some will allow you to click off 5 or 6 frames or so each pass and some may only give you 2 or 3. But if you put a slow lens on anyone of them. You may not get any!

That means that he would need to get a little too close to those race cars to get any meaningful shots... lol

There is no one cheap answer to his question. Action sports outdoors in the daytime you can get away with almost anything, but the moment it starts getting dark... uh-oh, blur city. :)

That is when something like a D300 and a Nikkor 70-200 F/2.8 are likely the best answer to his needs. This camera/lens will also keep him happy for years.

Well, if he gets down to the track itself instead of just in the stands and is willing to risk the hurricane that is cars coming around the bend... 50mm could do just fine, especially on a crop body. I was really trying to work within the $1,000 limitation here.

I wouldn't bother with the 18-135 lens, it gets blurry real quick once you step out of the sun and don't want to use a flash.

I am thinking the opposite. I think a lens should be your priority, then a body. The lens will be the speed control for you. Even if you have a body that does 8 frames per second and a shutter up to 1/8000, if you have a slow lens that will only give you 1/60 or so in the current lighting conditions. Your not going to get any shots! Especially of quick moving objects! For doing racing, shutter speed is your friend. With a slow lens your not going to get it, unless your always in nice bright light.

Honnestly any body will allow you to take great pics of cars / bikes racing by. Some will allow you to click off 5 or 6 frames or so each pass and some may only give you 2 or 3. But if you put a slow lens on anyone of them. You may not get any!

I am aware of the fast lens I have some in mind,but would like a decent body as well nothing crappy but like i said i love auto focusing it helps alot and just something I'd like by preference.

Most reactions

Back