Looking for examples/info on staggered group shots

Dominantly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm interested in trying to pull off a few group shots in the near future, and I am thinking I want the group to be a varying depths, non-uniformly organized, and possibly individually lit. I am fond of Dave Hill's work, and I know that he just composites the crap out of his photos, and I thought that might be a way to go (albeit not nearly as in depth or intense). The idea would be to have lets say tape markers where they would stand (to avoid interference in the final product), then shoot each individual separately, and in the end bring them all together in PS.
The benefits I see in this are: Crisp focus on each individual, greater visual depth/interest, better lighting. Drawbacks: the blending of different lighting and different DOF zones.

SO anyone here give this a whirl?

I can't think of his name...there is a member here, a young fellow from Sweden, I think. He does some really great composite group images.

sounds like a lot of extra work. Why not just take all their photos and make a colleague triptych kind thing?

You don't have varying lighting, etc if you shoot on a tripod and without changing your lighting. You only change your focus for the subject you are shooting's placement. It's actually a very easy piece of work in photoshop.

If you want to shoot all in one shot you use a very narrow aperture to cover your DOF ass and make sure your staggering is within a DOF you can handle with your aperture.

You don't have varying lighting, etc if you shoot on a tripod and without changing your lighting.

If you light each person individually, you would have to have many many lights to do a 10 person group shot (2 lights per person or more). So unless you have unlimited light sources... or I'm misunderstanding.

Most reactions

Back