What's new

Looking for feedback and tips (Nothing Stunning)

Skyclad

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 28, 2010
Messages
353
Reaction score
22
Location
Arizona
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This picture isnt trying to tell a story or trying to be compelling. This picture was just one I took for me to get the hang of the exposure triangle and possibly composition (and hopefully it doesnt look too much like a plain snapshot. Or does it?).


$IMG_0419AA.webp

F-Stop: F/5
Shutter:1/320
ISO: 80

What did I do right? What did I do wrong?
 
And for the nighttime exposure triangle;

$IMG_0406Stars.webp

F/Stop: 3.4
Shutter: 15"
ISO:80

And a cheapie mini tripod
 
What you did right was that you had an eye for a potentially interesting subjecct. The table has some nice colors and there are some repeating patterns that could produce a nice image. Honestly, it does appear to be a snapshot and I'll try to describe why I feel that way. The lighting is harsh due to the time of day it was taken. The angle that the shot was taken in doesn't add any interest to the subject. You may try to take a shot from the corner or at the level of the playing surface to add some interest. The background adds some distracting clutter in the image. You could either move the stuff in the BG or compose a close up shot and include just the playing surface and avoid composing the BG in the photo. Walk aroud the table and look at it from other angles instead of from the perspective most people would look at it (standing and straight on).

This isn't meant to slam the photo. I give you lots of credit for seeing something there with the subject and posting here for feedback. It's not an easy thing to do. Good luck and keep posting!
 
This picture isnt trying to tell a story or trying to be compelling. This picture was just one I took for me to get the hang of the exposure triangle and possibly composition (and hopefully it doesnt look too much like a plain snapshot. Or does it?).

What did I do right? What did I do wrong?

But it is just a snapshot.
It is reasonably exposed but nothing more than that.
Go take actual pictures.

What part of that wasn't clear to you?
 
What you did right was that you had an eye for a potentially interesting subjecct. The table has some nice colors and there are some repeating patterns that could produce a nice image. Honestly, it does appear to be a snapshot and I'll try to describe why I feel that way. The lighting is harsh due to the time of day it was taken. The angle that the shot was taken in doesn't add any interest to the subject. You may try to take a shot from the corner or at the level of the playing surface to add some interest. The background adds some distracting clutter in the image. You could either move the stuff in the BG or compose a close up shot and include just the playing surface and avoid composing the BG in the photo. Walk aroud the table and look at it from other angles instead of from the perspective most people would look at it (standing and straight on).

This isn't meant to slam the photo. I give you lots of credit for seeing something there with the subject and posting here for feedback. It's not an easy thing to do. Good luck and keep posting!

Thank you very, very much! That was the exact type of response I was hoping for.

Yes, I knew when I took the picture it would be a snapshot. But it was of something interesting with nice colors. It was weather worn, but still held its rich, blue color with nice lines. As far as the angle it was taken it and the background junk is because it's stuff that my neighbor has in their yard on the side of the garage and was taken from my yard (which is reasonably higher up).

But you already taught me a lot of things to keep in mind: The lighting due to time of day. Other angles/perspectives to try to make it more interesting. The background being too distracting.

I kinda thought the background, while not being just cluttered and junk would kinda add to the overall theme of the picture (discarded, worn out and weather worn).

I knew before hand that this was just a simple photograph. Thats why in the thread title I was specific about it and also why I gave an explanation for it in my original post. Your criticism was in no way a slam (which I expected from a photo like this anyways) and was very constructive and helpful to me, which I again thank you for.
 
Sky -- I'd say

That for #1 and the bright outdoor light an ISO of 80 was not necessary.

So let's look at a shutter speed of 320... This is not a moving object so 320 is not needed to freeze the shot.

Now, with the triangle in mind, the low ISO required a higher shutter speed just so all that light could be managed.

Overall that turned out ok in the end without discussing the third of the triangle.

I'd say make sure you analyze the scene and decide what you need to be sure of, enough light to the sensor, enough speed to freeze or blur action, or do you want some separation between your subject and it's background.

BUT, I think no matter what you photograph, be very selective about your subject matter as the highest priority and then once you finalize that, then decide which of the three triangle aspects do you choose from and set to really make that subject matter shine.

That is why there is little patience for poor subject matter/composition even for a test photograph. Wrong order of importance...

Hope this helps.
 
Sky -- I'd say

That for #1 and the bright outdoor light an ISO of 80 was not necessary.

So let's look at a shutter speed of 320... This is not a moving object so 320 is not needed to freeze the shot.

Now, with the triangle in mind, the low ISO required a higher shutter speed just so all that light could be managed.
The reason for the low ISO is because I wanted a very clear, sharp and crisp picture. But I am now realizing that I may have over thought that at the time as I just found out that I could have still achieved the same thing with a lower ISO since its a still image.



I think no matter what you photograph, be very selective about your subject matter as the highest priority and then once you finalize that, then decide which of the three triangle aspects do you choose from and set to really make that subject matter shine.

That is why there is little patience for poor subject matter/composition even for a test photograph. Wrong order of importance...
True I probably should have picked a better subject to photograph, but this was just a photo so I could learn the understanding of the exposure triangle - nothing more. But I better subject wouldn't have hurt either, lol.

Thank you GeorgieGirl. I appreciate the feedback.
 
I wish your image has that board fill frame, with much shallow DOF... the rails and the attachments diffusing with distance.......

I like the starry night ...it is as blank as some nights would appear :D
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom