Looking for insight on an ultra-compact digi

Nytmair

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.km3k.com
So now that i have my panasonic fz20, and it's fairly bulky, i'm looking into getting an ultra-compact digi camera (the ones that are the size of a deck of cards or so) that i can take with me anywhere, such as a family party, or someplace where i won't want to be holding the big fz20 all the time.

After some research i've come along two big candidates....

The Canon PowerShot SD200:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraDetail.php?cam=646

and the Casio Exilim EX-Z40:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraDetail.php?cam=586

Does anyone here own either of these, or have any experience with either. I've heard they do decent picture quality, which is mainly what I want since I will be using this for mainly snapshots, maybe the occasional sunset picture or something, but mainly for use online, not making large 8x10 prints or anything, that's what the fz20 is for!! :)

Cliff notes:
Which one would you recommend and why? :?
or if you have a better suggestion (somewhere around $300), suggest it!!

Thanks in advance!

I've played with my friends Exilim and I loved it! It worked really well and took fantastic pictures! The LCD screen is huge for its size as well. My favorite feature I think was that you could have it display the rule of thirds lines on the LCD screen so you had a little help to compose your shot if you wanted to use it for more than just snapshots....

But Canon camera do have great optics and I've been really satisfied with my Powershot, but I haven't used that specific model so I have no hands on experience with canon's smaller cameras..

Hope this helps!

Zach :D

so you used the ex-z40? becuase i've heard about the pictures not being of the best quality... i.e. soft focus around the edges and stuff :?

Well a friend of mine let me use it for a couple of shots. I really didn't look at the pictures that closely (it was a while back too) so I don't remember what the edges were like. I was just using it for snapshots, nothing fancy. If you're worried about that stuff, I would stick with the canon! They've got great optics!

Zach :D

yeah i agree.... i still have to find the canon one in a store though, i just went to circuit city yesterday and they have the casio but not the canon.... I guess i'll have to go looking around sometime :)

Most reactions

Back