Looking for lens ideas and was wondering...

1limited92

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1)why these 2 were SO EXPENSIVE?

$8800
Nikon | AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR Autofocus Lens | 2171

$4900
NI30028GAFS

Also Im looking into getting a new zoom lens to get in closer than my current 55-200mm and Im considering looking into a 300mm.

2) Is there a considerable zoom diff from the 200 to the 300? Any comparison shots?

3) Any recommendations on a budget ZOOM LENS over 200mm?

Sorry for the noobie questions and thanks for any answers! :D:thumbup:

Unfortunately my budget is CHEAP. lol But I do understand that you get what you pay for which for me at this time isnt much. Im not looking to do anything professional but I would just like MORE zoom for my recreational use. For example I was attempting to take a picture of some geese but could have used a little more zoom than the 200 allowed so I thought the 300 may be adequate though I may need to look into a 400mm even.

Here is one cheap one Ive found...
Nikon | AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Lens (Black) | 1928

You can look into 3rd party lenses (e.g. Sigma 100-300mm f/4, Sigma 150-500, etc.). I have the 100-300 and love it, but wish I could afford a 500mm.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-150-500mm-Telephoto-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001542X64/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266370711&sr=8-1[/ame]

Another option is to get a 1.4X Teleconverter for your 200.

As for why they are so expensive (and HEAVY), they are outstanding optics and fast (f/2.8). It takes a lot of glass to let in as much light as they do.

Unfortunately my budget is CHEAP. lol But I do understand that you get what you pay for which for me at this time isnt much. Im not looking to do anything professional but I would just like MORE zoom for my recreational use. For example I was attempting to take a picture of some geese but could have used a little more zoom than the 200 allowed so I thought the 300 may be adequate though I may need to look into a 400mm even.

Here is one cheap one Ive found...
Nikon | AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Lens (Black) | 1928

That lens wont auto focus on your D5000.

This one will but I am not sure how great it is optically.

5A8306 Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO-M DG (Motorized) Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon AF D Cameras.

I dont think you would be able to get a 400mm lens that would auto focus on your D5000 for less then $800

Last edited:
I noticed the non AUTO FOCUS after I posted it. Ive found a few including a sigma

Sigma | 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG OS Telephoto Zoom for Nik | 572306

But im just not real sure if the $500+ is feasible anytime soon to the point where I could just "hold off" a little while longer for one.

AND to icassell, thanks for the info. And i just noticed that lens weighs 10.2 lbs!

I noticed the non AUTO FOCUS after I posted it. Ive found a few including a sigma

Sigma | 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG OS Telephoto Zoom for Nik | 572306

But im just not real sure if the $500+ is feasible anytime soon to the point where I could just "hold off" a little while longer for one.

AND to icassell, thanks for the info. And i just noticed that lens weighs 10.2 lbs!

Did you look at the sigma lens I posted as well? Its $209 and will auto focus on your D5000. Id look at some reviews though because I really don't know anything about the lens.

Did you look at the sigma lens I posted as well? Its $209 and will auto focus on your D5000. Id look at some reviews though because I really don't know anything about the lens.

Yep. And actually cosidering it very much. What is the difference in that one and the other sigma I listed besides $190 and the one you listed is a MACRO tele zoom lens and the other isnt?

Yep. And actually cosidering it very much. What is the difference in that one and the other sigma I listed besides $190 and the one you listed is a MACRO tele zoom lens and the other isnt?

No the other one does not have a macro feature. You wont be able to get true 1:1 macro images with it but id imagine it would still be a nice feature to have you will be able to focus pretty close without the use of extension tubes or filters.

The one you posted has OS (Optical Stabilizer) which is the Sigma equivalent to Nikons VR. If you hand held your camera most of the time this is a very nice feature to have.

Budget zoom lens, try the nikkon 70-300mm VR f/4.5-5.6. Obviouslly not as fast as the $9K lens.

Most reactions

Back