looking for my first dslr

hannah.mae08

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey there,
i'm new to photography and i'm buying my first dslr next month.

i was thinking of buying nikon d5000 since it's an entry level for beginners like me.
i was also thinking of nikon d90 but it's more like for experienced photographers.
i'm also considering canon 500d.

so it's a battle of nikon d5000 vs. canon 500d.

which one should i get? :razz:

Nikon vs Canon is a debate that will never end. both will give you good quality. best advice is see if you van get to the store and get a hold of both see which one is more you.
Good luck

Do a quick search. There is actually a thread in one of these recent pages w/ your exact same question. Just go hold both whatever feels good pick it. You won't be dissapointed w/ either camera. GL and enjoy!
TJ

I agree do a search, but ill answer anyways.

For The Nikon vs Canon debate the easiest way to find out which brand you like better is to go into the shop and hold both in your hands. See which one feels better to you. (edit: Iggs already said this)

As for cameras compare them, that link is based solely on image quality.

The problem with the D5000 is that it can only autofocus AF-S and AF-I lenses because it dosent have a focusing motor in its body, this reduces the range of your lenses. A while ago I was deciding cameras and I decided to go D90 pretty much due to that quality alone.

The best way is to go into the store and compare all of them.

Nikon vs Canon is a debate that will never end. both will give you good quality. best advice is see if you van get to the store and get a hold of both see which one is more you.
Good luck

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

i like the nikon D5000 better personally due to the fact that i like the menu set up and the way the buttons are laid out, but thats my preference

Compare cameras

Nikon D5000--$310 less expensive than the Canon 500D (aka the Canon T1i in the USA)
9.5 points better on overall sensor quality than the 500D--a substantial difference
A full point better in color depth than the 500D--a substantial margin
A 12.5 stop dynamic range compared to the Canon's 11/.5 stop range--probably the second-largest quality advantage of the Nikon over the 500D.
Low-light ISO rating of 868 over the 500D's low light ISO rating of 663--a substantial advantage to the Nikon.

$310 less costly for the Nikon, which has a better sensor, wider dynamic range, deeper color depth, and is substantially better in low-light and at high ISO settings. Seems like an obvious choice. Save $310 and get a better camera. Buy it with the Nikon 18-55 VR kit lens and get a better kit lens than the Canon 18-55 IS lens.

If you want the Nikon go with the D90 over the D5000. The D90n will give you more room to grow as a photographer and if you do upgrade at a later time anything above the 90 will feel closer when it comes to the controls.

If you go with the Canon I would say the 50D for the same reasons.

Bottom line is. You can't go wrong be it the D90 or 50D. The most important thing is the feel. Go to a store and pick them up and see what feels good your hands, how the controls feel and can you access them by touch and have everything within your reach.

In all honesty, Don't fall into that Nikon VS. Canon debate. both brand are top dog IMHO. :)

get the Nikon

she was asking a simple question, why the long and complicated answers? answer to a question nobody asked?

get the Nikon

she was asking a simple question, why the long and complicated answers? answer to a question nobody asked?
It's not that cut and dried.

She had already been comparing the camera's. She may not have been aware of some of the technical differences, particularly the technical differences in image quality.

Note that even then, the technical discourse was fairly shallow since it didn't even touch on the fact that the Nikon Multi-CAM 1000 autofocus module with TTL phase detection, 11 focus points (including 1 cross-type sensor), and color aware 420 pixel RGB sensor 3D Color Matrix Metering II module in the Nikons, also far surpass the Canon T1i's capabilities.

Someone needed to point out exactly why it would not be wise to purchase the technically inferior, but more expensive Canon T1i. :thumbup:

We all gave such great advice.... yet the OP has not even posted since the first post. :lmao::lol::lmao:

hey there,
i'm new to photography and i'm buying my first dslr next month.

i was thinking of buying nikon d5000 since it's an entry level for beginners like me.
i was also thinking of nikon d90 but it's more like for experienced photographers.
i'm also considering canon 500d.

The D90 is Nikon's best entry-level digital SLR. It has a fairly complete, though minimal set of features that aren't found on any of it's less expensive sibleings. Things like automatic exposure bracketing and Nikon's CLS remote speedlight triggering system and FP sync mode.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back