Looking for New Music

thenikonguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got $60 iTunes credit, and am on the search for some new music.

Whats one CD you have that you cannot live without?

I'm into pretty much everything.. except country and rap.. i especially enjoy underground stuff... unsigned groups.. things of that nature..

Depending on how weird you want to go...

Capillary Action (Very, very small time band. I went to a concert in a rowhouse. Their music constantly shifts between Rock, Metal, Jazz, and a lot of other genres, often without warning. So Embarrassing is the album I'd recommend.)

(Like Capillary Action, but older and more established with a more polished subtle sound. It does lose some of CA's lunacy though. Album to get: California. If you like music that's a bit weird, this is a must have.)

(I don't want to say Math Rock, because that scares people. I prefer B-EP+EP-C to their later album Mirrored, but both are great and Mirrored is more accessible)

(Freak/Avant-Garde Jazz group. I bought the whole 10 CD box set on Napster because they priced it as 1 album $10. hehehe...)

(Some call it Post-Rock. It's electronic music, like Aphex-Twin, but with live drums and a bit more of a rock feel.)

If I had to choose 1 cd (This week at least), it would probably be "California" followed by BATTLES Mirrored.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't call her "unsigned", but Fever Ray's pretty decent, her album's on iTunes. If I had to call her anything, it would be "atmospheric electronica"...?

Video for When I Grow Up:
http://vimeo.com/3108686

Dead Kennedys - Give me Convenience or Give me Death
KMFDM - Nihil
Ministry - Greatest Fits
Offspring - Smash <-- one of my favorite albums...
Sister Machine Gun - Burn; and- Sins of the Flesh

OK... That's more than one...

There are better songs than that one the album, but youtube doesn't have a very good selection for them... (That is not their video... Just a fan video.)

Bob Marley - Legend, Songs of Freedom, or Kaya... More if your in the mood.

Sade - The Best of Sade

Prodigy - The Fat of the Land

Pearl Jam -Ten

Boney James - Body Language

I know you said one but .... :D

I was gonna suggest some rap artists but never mind. You should check out Habib Koite & Bamada. He's an African guy. His songs are not in English but his voice and guitar work is really good. You can check him out on YouTube before buying. :thumbup:

I just recently started listening to Congolese music and I love it... Drum beats and guitar just makes you move. It sounds a little like soca music... I don't know what they are saying but I enjoy it.

I listen to this when I work out... which is rare...

I've got $60 iTunes credit, and am on the search for some new music.

I'm into pretty much everything.. except country and rap.. i especially enjoy underground stuff... unsigned groups.. things of that nature..

I currently can't work with Porcupine Tree's "In Absentia", "Deadwing" and "Fear of a Blank Planet" and Pure Reason Revolution's "The Dark Third" and "Amor Vincit Omnia".

Other bands I'm listening to are Tool, King Crimson's recent stuff, Pineapple Thief, RPWL, The Mars Volta (except the latest album), OSI's latest album "Blood"...

Prog rock galore, now that I think of it :D

JOSH......."Offspring - Smash <-- one of my favorite albums..." ....love that sh t :headbang:

Live-Throwing Copper
NIN-Pretty Hate Machine
Green Day-Dookie
Rage Against the Machine
Evanescence
Disturbed

add Marilyn Manson in there too

Elvis Costello - Imperial Bedroom
Lou Reed - Transformer
John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band
Neil Young - Tonight's the Night
Gang of Four - Entertainment!

Jon

Nirvana - Nevermind - cant beat it.

Beatles - Anthology 1-3 (or Magical Mystery Tour)

And I'm with you on Plastic Ono Band!

U2 - One, I Still Havent Found What I'm Looking For, Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, Beautiful Day.

Jimmy Buffet - get the package with the top sellers - Come Monday , Brown Eyed Girl, Volcano, Bama Breeze (my favorite), Margaritaville, Tequila Sunrise.

I've had some close ties with music for a great many years, so my tastes are wildly varied and what happens to be the thing I am not living without varies from week to week.

I've been listening to Bruce Hornsby this week and remembering just how talented this guy is. His recordings were also top-quality so they hold up well in today's higher fidelity systems.

Also in that sort of old-school stuff I've been re-aquainting myself with the Eagles. Also very good and surprisingly pretty good recordings.

A couple weeks ago I couldn't stop listening to The Canadian Brass.

A week prior to that I was listening to the soundtrack from Fallout 3, which is basically music from the 40s and 50s... Danny Kaye and the Andrews Sisters, Bob Crosby (one of Bing's brothers), The Inkspots, etc. Excellent stuff and a really nice mix. (I like this music anyway... just playing fallout got me back into it again)

Pretty old stuff but you might like it.

Troy

Most reactions

Back