What's new

Looking for professional items

dzirkelb

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 29, 2010
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I have no experience in photography, but my wife does. She has wanted the professional items for a long time, but has never bought any. I plan on purchasing whatever is needed to get her up and running.

She currently has a digital slr, I am not certain of make and model, but I can find out easilly. I'm hoping to be able to use this camera to start with and upgrade later.

What we do not have is any sort of umbrella lighting, back drops, and anything else that is needed for a more professional picture.

I'd say the main use would be for pictures of family to be framed, no weddings or anything like that.

My price range is around 1-2k, but I have absolutely no idea on what to look for, where to start, where to shop, etc.

Any newbie guides / links are greatly appreciated, and all advice given is also appreciated!
 
Of course we'll need more info before offering a suggestion.

My guess is though that the best thing you could buy would be a 70-200mm f2.8 zoom. Cost is between $500 and $2000, depending on brand and options.
 
I have no experience in photography, but my wife does. She has wanted the professional items for a long time, but has never bought any. I plan on purchasing whatever is needed to get her up and running.

She currently has a digital slr, I am not certain of make and model, but I can find out easilly. I'm hoping to be able to use this camera to start with and upgrade later.

What we do not have is any sort of umbrella lighting, back drops, and anything else that is needed for a more professional picture.

I'd say the main use would be for pictures of family to be framed, no weddings or anything like that.

My price range is around 1-2k, but I have absolutely no idea on what to look for, where to start, where to shop, etc.

Any newbie guides / links are greatly appreciated, and all advice given is also appreciated!
Your price range pretty much precludes professional items.

Professional portait cameras starts at about $2400, new, and that don't include a lens.

Professional lenses run right about $1800 each, average. A pro lighting setup (lights, light modifiers, tripod, lightstands, light modifier brackets, grip equipment, backgrounds) would run about $2000, so you'd be about right at $6000 for pro items.

As it is, for just family pictures to be framed you don't need professional items.

What your wife needs more, is to learn how to use quality hobbiest items to get professional looking results.

I do most of my photography gear shopping at www.bhphotovideo.com, IMO, the best photography store on the planet.

For lights and lighting accessories, see www.alienbees.com.
 
I think it is better to have your wife find out what she wants/needs.
 
Of course we'll need more info before offering a suggestion.

My guess is though that the best thing you could buy would be a 70-200mm f2.8 zoom. Cost is between $500 and $2000, depending on brand and options.

She currently does have this zoom lens on her existing camera, I do know that...or it might only go up to 180, but it is pretty much that.

I think she is happy with her camera, just needs better lighting and some backdrops.

To start, it will be for our newborn, so tripod's aren't really necessary as baby never stays still!

I'd like to start with the lighting and backdrops only for now.

I did see the bhphotovideo.com website, but was quickly overwhelmed when looking there. The other site looks to have exactly what I am picturing in terms of lighting.

I tossed around the idea many times of just getting her a gift cert so she could get it all herself, but that isn't as personal, but might be the correct way to go.
 
For photography gears, it is quite personal. As far as lighting goes, most of the people start with hot-shoe flash first.

If she do not have experience with lighting, then I think she should learn or read up more about it before buying any strobe gears. Once she knows more, she will know what to choose.
 
I think if its studio/portait work shes going to be getting into, some of that money should go to a studio/portrait Class, its probably the best thing you could get her.

This way, she knows the basics and she can advance from that. and on the plus side,she'll know what she needs and wants after the course.

But i can suggest a plain black and a white background. and maybe 2x 250watt(min) strobes, with the obv softbox ect.
 
I tossed around the idea many times of just getting her a gift cert so she could get it all herself, but that isn't as personal, but might be the correct way to go.


It becomes more personal if you take the certificate and 'doll it up'.

Creative wrapping and presentation will do the trick. The lasting use of the equipment she picks out will keep her happy even longer. ;)
 
To start, it will be for our newborn, so tripod's aren't really necessary as baby never stays still!
Newborns are very malable, and are very easy to pose and shoot.

If you look at professionally done newborn photos, the newborn is almost always asleep.
 
Ya, as far as taking photos, she is great. She just needs the equipment for inside picture poses. She has done a couple weddings for friends also, so she has pretty good knowledge in terms of how to take them with scenery and what not.
 
I tossed around the idea many times of just getting her a gift cert so she could get it all herself, but that isn't as personal, but might be the correct way to go.


It becomes more personal if you take the certificate and 'doll it up'.

Creative wrapping and presentation will do the trick. The lasting use of the equipment she picks out will keep her happy even longer. ;)

It may not feel as personal, but its far better than money since it can only be spent on the gift itself and further its far better than you getting the "wrong" thing and her having to either exchange or grin and bare it.

At the end of the day you want to make her happy with the right gift, but you don't know enough about the area of her interest to make the judgement call yourself - so let her take over that department.
 
I think I will just write something nice and put it in an envelope, something saying "go shopping for this".
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom