Looking for some C & C

Saddlebreds4me

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Everyone...

I just shot a horse show which I took too many photos to count. However, I love this one....

DSC_1538.jpg

How could it I have made it better? Fill light? Keep in mind, I was not the center ring photographer, and I choose to shoot in natural light. This kid was so damn cute it was hard not to keep my camera on him!

Thanks in advance!

I think this is a nice shot, but the focus is quite soft. That horse probably doesn't even realize somebody is on his back! Cute little kid though.

It is a cute shot. If it was possible to get an angle as to cut the woman out of the picture, and if the boys face was in focus. By looking at the image was it possible to achieve this by moving to the left of the horse? That would of avoided the lady and the horses legs in the background.

Sherman Banks...thanks so much for your comments - I really like this forum a lot for everyone's perspective. I'm going to ask a sort of 'noob' question...your comment was that the focus was soft - is that ok sometimes depending on the shot? or do you ALWAYS want a crisp, clear, shot?

I find that when I'm shooting at a horse show particularly when you have 15 horses in a class it is sometimes hard to have the camera refocus quickly enough to catch everyone at their best. I got some orders for photos at this show and have declined to print them because I was a nanosecond out of focus. I don't want people paying for something that is just mediocre.

Last edited:
C0ps...The problem for me location wise was that I couldn't move to the left of the horse as I was in the stadium shooting. That and it was what we in the horse world deem a lead line class where the young kids (like 7 years of age and under) are lead into the ring with their trainer. I also believe this child to be the son of the trainer - which is why I wanted to leave her in the photo.

I know sometimes when people talk about 'horse worlds' or soccer worlds' or 'pick the hobby' worlds - it seems like different, nuances, for a better word, are sought or used.

I'm not trying to defend myself, just trying to give a clearer explanation of what was going on at the time.

Thank you very much for the C & C!

Well, in my most humble, and unqualified opinion, I just so happen to like this shot, alot :) Reason being... you managed to capture what was probably one really great moment in that little boy's life. You can see it in his face... he's having the time of his life, and you captured that quite well.

The critique given to you by other's is nothing short of accurate and true, however... for me, I just like the image, all the way around, no complaints at all. So, knowing that, pretend that I'm just a non-photographic guy who just happened to stumble upon this photo, and it was pleasing to my eye, which has to count for something on your part right? :)

Anyway, keep it up, and post more, and in fact, you say you shot alot more of this event, and I'de like to see more of them if at all possible.

Paulpippin29, thanks so much! You have no idea what your comment means to me that I was 'capturing one really great moment' in this little boy's life - This is why I love photography!

This was a four day horse show and I was only able to be there Wed Night and Saturday all day - just on Saturday I shot over 2700 photos (and that's what I kept...)

I was exhausted...but I did get about 8 photos used in trade publications for advertising - I was pretty proud of that, being a noob and all.

I would love to post a few more photos, which I might do because I love the critiquing here - but you can also view them on my website at:

Alosa Photography - under the link UPHA Chapter 14 Wed/Saturday and Winter Tournament

I hope that's ok to post that link, if not, mods please feel free to delete - I'm not trying to sell anything. Just looking for advice :)

How could it I have made it better? Fill light?
Yes!

Keep in mind, I was not the center ring photographer, and I choose to shoot in natural light.
Then you have decided to hamper yourself. You are shooting in an indoor arena, yes? With inadequate, inconsistant and (assuming) pulsing lighting. These locations are notorious for having tungsten lighting with varying degrees of age, which means that some lamps are bright to some lamps are in need of replacement and everything in between.

If memory serves me, you shoot a D700, which is awesome, but it will have a time under these lighting conditions. The best solution is to create the lighting you need with your own flash.

Yep, you caught a precious moment, but the horses forehead is underexposed and lacks detail, the focus on the kids face is very soft and there seems to be a lot of wobble just behind the riders shoulders. It may not be the end all to cure all, but I'd put money down that a flash (even mounted on camera) would be of great benefit to these type of shots.

Just my 2¢.

Kundalini!

Good memory! I do shoot with a D700 - I totally get what you are saying RE: using a flash...are you saying that under those horrid lighting conditions, and they ARE horrid...that I will never achieve the optimum photograph without a flash? I'm not totally anti-flash but I'm trying to get really good at my work with with my D700, my f/2.8 80-200 (used in this shot) as well as my f/2.8 24-70 lenses. I do have two SB Speedlights - one slightly chewed 'Basset hound stamped' 600 and one 800.

The other thing I ALWAYS try to be considerate of, is that 99% of my kind of show horses are used to an 'in ring' flash but not all of them are acclimated to a flash of light outside of the ring. A horse has near perfect periferal (sp?) vision - the only places horses have a hard time seeing are directly in front of them and directly behind them. So I don't want to catch a young horse or inexperienced rider off guard with a flash 'from the stands' if you catch my drift. The upside is that I could try it at a smaller show and see what happens - the horrible lighting conditions are a challenge to be sure. I've noticed that one professional horse photographer does use a slave flash at many of the shows he shoots - and that is really beyond my level right now - I mean I get the idea, but executing it? That's a whole other ball of wax for me!

I was solicited to shoot a show in Missouri in July after the show managers saw my photos but I declined the shoot only because I have no flash large enough to shoot indoor, in the evening...I didn't want people upset with poor photos. It was unbelievably flattering to be asked but I couldn't provide what the show was looking for so I had to decline.

I'm not sure any of that makes sense - but thank you for your help - I love all of it - it only makes me better and think more. Thanks!

Last edited:
peripheral :biggrin:

The D700 has a tremendous dynamic range, but even so, those conditions are wonky to say the least. what you (I think) want to acheive is controlled light. With either the chewed up 600 or the better alternative 800, you are increasing your chances. Of course I would not want to startle an animal I'm shooting, especially a horse (they can get 'kin crazy) and you don't have to blast them with flash, even more especially with a young rider on their back. Use the TTL and it will expose as needed. Set your WB to flash exposure (jagged arrow) and you should be golden whichever mode you shoot. I'm also assuming you have one shooting bank dedicated to flash photography.

It's been a while since I have been to a horse event, but they go round and round and round. If you don't want to expend your card, use the test button and flash the horse in the distance, increasing its distance to you until you are on target for the shots you want. By then the horse is acclimated to the flash and shouldn't be quite so nervous.

peripheral :biggrin:

The D700 has a tremendous dynamic range, but even so, those conditions are wonky to say the least. what you (I think) want to acheive is controlled light. With either the chewed up 600 or the better alternative 800, you are increasing your chances. Of course I would not want to startle an animal I'm shooting, especially a horse (they can get 'kin crazy) and you don't have to blast them with flash, even more especially with a young rider on their back. Use the TTL and it will expose as needed. Set your WB to flash exposure (jagged arrow) and you should be golden whichever mode you shoot. I'm also assuming you have one shooting bank dedicated to flash photography.

It's been a while since I have been to a horse event, but they go round and round and round. If you don't want to expend your card, use the test button and flash the horse in the distance, increasing its distance to you until you are on target for the shots you want. By then the horse is acclimated to the flash and shouldn't be quite so nervous.

Thanks so much for the spelling - it's amazing what happens to spelling ability after a glass or two of Silver Oak Cabernet. :) Wow...those are some GREAT flash tips (let's say I'm more than a little flash challenged) - and yes I can use my 800 (I think sans the Basset teeth marks!) set it to TTL and see what I can do...probably a lot more focus wise. Thank you. I'm going to try it...

Here is another example shooting not only in crappy florescent lighting but at night as well - this photo is now in print in some of the major horse publications.

I have to say...and believe me I usually say all of my work, well, sucks...but I have to say, I do like this photo:

LimerocksKingofClubs.jpg

At a horse show you have to work with the people on the rail who get into your photos - for the most part, the people who are enamored by the shot of the horse (in this case the horse is trotting square, looking through the bridle and ears are up! and obviously projecting a forward motion). This was a "money shot' so to speak for me - and I haven't had very many of those at all!

Last edited:
I'm tackling about 6 shots Jose ATM, soon to be seven. I've been into macro recently, so I don't have anything what you're shooting. However, with the macro you really have to use a much smaller aperture to get the DoF, so additional lighting is almost a must unless shooting at high noon on a cloudless day.

The advantage of the SB's is unquestioned. I'd say give it a try. The bonus is TTL. Plug and play sorta thing. It's hard to get a bad exposure if using M,A or S modes. Just remember that your shutter speed has a direct effect on the ambient light. The slower, the more ambient in play. At 1/250 (sych speed), you're basically killing ambient.

Ummmm, I've had several and I hate surgeries. On the opposite side I love, I mean hate, no wait...... photography, pfffft. It keeps me out of trouble.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back