Looking for some general critique on my work.

MattyClark12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Rather than post seperate images, I'll post my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/matthewclarkphotos (If this is frowned upon, please let me know)

I'm 15 and have a huge passion for photography, and would like to be a professional one day. I am looking for some general, constructive criticism on how to improve my photography skills. I'm aware of some areas I need to work on, but would like to know what others' (better than I am) opinions are.

You have some interesting stuff kind of swimming in a thematically lacking collection. You're off to a good start, but I am not seeing a whole lot of cohesion as a body of work.

Thank you for taking the time to look and reply.
I have taken your comments on board and will use them to improve my work.

Typically you will get more responses if you post two or three shots (your best work)... number them, and maybe even a small blurb on what you wanted, or were trying to achieve. Most of us won't click on links.. or try to look at hundreds of shots...

$SAM_5143c.jpg

1) This one of Gisborough Priory is a particular favourite, I like the way the blue flowers fit with the blue/grey sky and the contrast between the bright sun in front of the ruin, and rain clouds behind.

$SAM_4883e.jpg

2) With this one I was to demonstrate the 'run-down-ness' of the area, with the dying trees and disrespect shown in the grafiti and litter.

$SAM_4581p_edited-1.jpg

3) With this photograph I was attempting to show a contrast between happy and sad-the recently refired steel works in the background beneath pure (another contrast with the 'dirty' steel works), pleasant white clouds with the loved and famous penguins of the local area which are slowly being removed in the darker foreground.

Last edited:
#3. There is no way for the vast majority of viewers to know the steel works were recently re-fired, and many would miss that those are penguin statues if there were not told, because the side of the penguins we can see in the photo are in hard shadow, making them severely under exposed because they are back lit.

In other words, there is no doubt the photo has meaning to you and to people that live there that know the history, but the photo has virtually no meaning to any one else unless that meaning is explained.

In short, the photo itself does not tell the story.

I would venture the vertical frame format was inappropriate, fill lighting was needed on the penguins, and a GND filter was needed on the lens to add contrast and saturation to the sky by lowering it's dynamic range.

I like your work, how you see things and think about your subjects. And I agree with KmH. Keep at it. Welcome to the forum! :)

I like that first image with those vibrant green color; i visited your link.... there are some good stuffs there; why can't you post your recent images here and get views from regulars and visitors here?
Regards :D

Thank you for your replies KmH, Jaemie and Frequency.

KmH-I have taken your comments on board and agree with them and will use them to improve my work.

Jaemie-Thank you for your welcome :)

Frequency-I'll do that from now on, thank you for your nice comments :)

Most reactions

Back