Looking for suggestions about lenses

llvllagic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello! I am new here and found this place from Google cause I can't seem to find some Canon lenses options. I need help.

I currently have Canon EOS 350D but I am about to buy Canon EOS 7D this month. Since I was told that Canon doesn't have good kit lenses I am willing to buy lens that would replace my current kit lens.

I have to say I already have telephoto lens (75-300mm) so I am not looking another telephoto lens or lens that goes into this range. I also have 50mm lens so I am good with it also. I am not looking for fixed lens (without zooming) cause since I don't take photos in studios or in one place, that would be too much of lens changing.

As I said I am not taking pics in studios. I am walking with my cam around, sometimes even whole day. I take pics of events (mostly outdoors), architecture, animals, nature, concerts (with telephoto lens).

I found 2 lens options by myself some days ago. Let me mention them here.

EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. I was happy that it also has range of wide lens as well since I don't have one but I would like to get one some day. But I was told this is an old lens that is not released anymore although I see it still can be purchased in my country. Then I have read in the net that most of owners of this lens has some technical problems only after few months using it like problems with Aperture and Auto focus. So that one is no for me.

EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. Now even more wide angle. Good. This lens got lots of positive ratings where I found it. But my problem about this is that it's very heavy. Body of 7D is heavy enough (816g) and together with this lens it would be almost 1 and half kg. For a girl like me I am afraid it would be too much to carry around whole day (plus my other lenses in my bag).

I am out of ideas cause all other lenses I have found are kit (or it seems to be one). So I need help from ppl who knows more about lenses as I do :) Till now I have stopped to the second lens I have mentioned. If you know something equal or lighter or maybe better or cheaper, pls let me know. However wide angle is not necessary. It also can go from 18mm.

My finances for lens goes till 860$ which is the cost of EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM in my country.

I am not a professional photographer. I work as a web designer and photo retoucher. My hobby is photography which became bigger in the last year plus it also can be used in my profession. I am also looking for adding pics in photo bank to collect some extra money and they value quality which is why quality also should be considered.

I hope I mentioned all my needs and things you may want to know to suggest me some lens.

By your self a USED L series lens. If you buy it at a good rate, I am positive you can sell it for the same price in a couple of years. You will have a hard time trying to sell an EF-S lens. My vote is 24-105 f/4L.

Since I was told that Canon doesn't have good kit lenses I am willing to buy lens that would replace my current kit lens.
Don't believe everything you read/hear.
The 'kit' lenses are not the best lenses that Canon makes, but they usually only add $100-$200 to the price of a camera...and for their 'price', they can be pretty good.

So my question to you, what is it that you want to do, that your current lens(s) can not do? (do you have the 18-55mm lens?)

When I started off I had the same questions going round my head. I wanted something with constant aperture so I went for the 24-105 and although is F/4 which is a problem for some people I love the lens to bits. Easy to use, good value, all round lens at the price and even better if you buy a good 2nd hand copy. If you have money maybe rent cheaply the candidates for a day and test drive them or even better if you can borrow them from a friend... All the best with your quest :)

By your self a USED L series lens. If you buy it at a good rate, I am positive you can sell it for the same price in a couple of years. You will have a hard time trying to sell an EF-S lens. My vote is 24-105 f/4L.
That is even more heavier. But I will keep it in my mind. L lens would be even more perfect and the price is also not that high. Thank you for the suggestion!

Since I was told that Canon doesn't have good kit lenses I am willing to buy lens that would replace my current kit lens.
Don't believe everything you read/hear.
The 'kit' lenses are not the best lenses that Canon makes, but they usually only add $100-$200 to the price of a camera...and for their 'price', they can be pretty good.

So my question to you, what is it that you want to do, that your current lens(s) can not do? (do you have the 18-55mm lens?)
Yes, our current lens is 18-55mm. But in any case I would want to buy a new lens cause this one seems to have a problem with auto focus. We already bought it used maybe 5-6 years ago together with used 350D. It started to have the problem 1 years ago.

The reason why I wasn't looking at kit lens is cause I was told that 7D cam is very good and with this kind of cam it's better to have other "main" lens than kit lens. But I am open for suggestions. That is why I am here :)

I am buying 7D body only cause I found a good deal through ppl I know but they offer body only.

I used to have the 17-85mm lens. It was a nice lens to use, and the quality was pretty good. The one thing I didn't like, was that that the maximum aperture wasn't any bigger than any other 'cheap' zoom lens. That's why I bought the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8...and I was very happy with the Tamron for wedding and portrait work. I still kept the 17-85mm because it was a nice 'walk around' lens for when I didn't need a large (F2.8) aperture.

A better choice would have been the Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS, but that lens is very expensive.

I've heard that the newer 15-85mm is a decent lens, but most say that the price tag is too high for such a lens.

I have the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens as well. It is not heavy and quit good as far as optical property goes.

Is Tamron working fine with your Canon cams? I was told by my photo teacher if you use lenses from other firm sometimes it may give you problems.

I am thinking about wide lens from either
Tamron or Sigma since I will not use it that often as the main lens. I have heard Tamron is better though.

Is Tamron working fine with your Canon cams? I was told by my photo teacher if you use lenses from other firm sometimes it may give you problems.

Companies like Sigma & Tamron make lenses for Canon & Nikon cameras. You just have to be sure that when you buy it, you are buying the 'Canon Mount' version. It shouldn't give you any problems at all.

I am thinking about wide lens from either
Tamron or Sigma since I will not use it that often as the main lens. I have heard Tamron is better though.
Some Tamron lenses are better, some Sigma lenses are better, some Canon lenses are better. You can't say that one brand is better than another, you have to compare each lens.

For wide angle, the Sigma 10-20mm has a good reputation.

I have a 7D and the tamron 17-50mm 2.8 non vc they work well together and not all that heavy. On subject of the kit lenses. I have the 28-135mm kit and it is a great lens for the extra $200 I paid for the kit vrs body only.

I just brought a 7D this week. I went body only and brought a lens separately. Went with the Canon 17-55 2.8 is usm. It arrived today and I am very very impressed. This lens is well built, super sharp. I've only taken a few snaps with it, I look forward to getting out and really using it properly.

I suggest:
A) If you shoot a lot in low light and/or want lots of background blur (although you said you don't do portraiture, but still), go for the Tamron 17-50 2.8
B) If you are more concerned with great optical quality and autofocus performance than low light ability, go for the 24-105 f/4 L (used! it's a kit lens for some higher end cameras, and thus there are a lot of aftermarket ones floating around in plenty good condition)

Also, regarding the whole weight issue, I highly recommend the following product:
Amazon.com: Cotton Carrier Belt System For 1 Camera (CC-514-RTL-S): Camera & Photo
It puts all the weight on your hips, which is the best place to hold weight, and you can then easily haul around a 4-5 pound body + lens without a care in the world, even as a slimmish female photographer. Also, try to avoid bringing multiple lenses with you if you're going to be out all day long, unless they are the sort that can fit in a jacket pocket or small bag (like a 50 1.8 for example). If you must have another super heavy lens, you can also get lens bags that hang on your hips as well. IMO multiple lenses only slows you down and confuses you, because you are looking for too many different kinds of shots. Limited lenses allow you to train your eye on only one sort of shot, and you'll notice more opportunities and approach them more systematically and end up with more keepers. Also, changing settings on your camera back and forth for different kinds of shots all the time is a great way to make a mistake and end up with 30 shots overexposed before you realize you forgot one of those settings.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back