Looking to improve

STiZzle2010

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For those who do not know, I am very new to photography. I've been shooting since I got my DSLR in March and went straight to manual. Through critique on forums and photography groups is how I've been learning but, I'm always trying to do better.

Yesterday my wife and I were at a park with my son taking advantage of the 65 degree temps in November. Any CC on exposure, composition, editing, etc is very much appreciated.

Taken with a Nikon D5500, Nikkor 50mm 1.8G, and edited in Lightroom.
f/2.5, 1/200th, ISO 200, flash fired.
JMH_0044 by Hebee's Visions, on Flickr

He's such a cutie! I'm pretty new to this as well. I like the photo overall. The only thing I don't like is that I knew you used a flash without reading your text. Yes, I'm a scroll to the pic first kind of girl.

Can you adjust the angle of your flash so that it's not directly on him? You want fill light around him rather than illuminating one side of him. And you can do that with an adjustable flash or some other tricks that others may share that I haven't tried yet.

Not bad. Shows the concentration of the child. If anything, I'd say the flash was just a bit too much power. Composition isn't great. Your focus looks good, but the fence is a distraction. I think you left too much empty frame to the right of your subject.

BTW: and this has nothing to do with your photo, but in your opening paragraph you said "..went straight to manual." Back in the olden days that's all we had. Manual everything, including focus. Now these days people think they have to "go straight to manual" in order to gain street cred.

So now that you've established that you were in full manual, did you bracket your shots here? I mean; if the flash looks a little hot to me, did it look hot to you as well? And then did you dial back on the flash power for a subsequent shot?

It's a lovely image. The only thing I would say is try to get more of his eyes. Do you have a couple of shots right before or after this one?

Congrats to you and your wifey - you have a beautiful little young man and model. :)

Can you adjust the angle of your flash so that it's not directly on him? You want fill light around him rather than illuminating one side of him. And you can do that with an adjustable flash or some other tricks that others may share that I haven't tried yet.
It has more to do with the power of the flash that he set. Just power it back a bit and it would be fine.

Not bad. Shows the concentration of the child. If anything, I'd say the flash was just a bit too much power. Composition isn't great. Your focus looks good, but the fence is a distraction. I think you left too much empty frame to the right of your subject.

BTW: and this has nothing to do with your photo, but in your opening paragraph you said "..went straight to manual." Back in the olden days that's all we had. Manual everything, including focus. Now these days people think they have to "go straight to manual" in order to gain street cred.

So now that you've established that you were in full manual, did you bracket your shots here? I mean; if the flash looks a little hot to me, did it look hot to you as well? And then did you dial back on the flash power for a subsequent shot?

I didn't mention that I'm shooting in manual for any type of street credit lol but simply so you guys know where I am in . Nothing against full auto or priority modes but I like to try and have as much control as I can and I want to know what each adjustment does. I agree that the flash is hot in this image. I'm still learning to use the flash to be honest as it has only been about a month or so since I've had one. I did adjust the flash power when gaining the exposure but I didn't see these hotspots in the back of the camera. Also as many of you know, a 6 month old does not sit still very long which of course creates additional challenges when trying to make adjustments lol.

I agree that the fence is distracting and I try to be as aware of my backgrounds as I can. Learning lesson for next time...

Here is another shot with him looking towards the camera. I think that the flash is a bit strong in this one too.
JMH_0047 by Hebee's Visions, on Flickr

Keep practicing and give yourself time to learn. Think about where you set up or position yourself, your vantage point; notice the backgrounds and think about how much space to have in the picture/in the frame, the composition, etc. You got a good picture of him that's delightful.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for composition training? I was trying the rules of thirds here but I guess it has left too much negative space.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for composition training? I was trying the rules of thirds here but I guess it has left too much negative space.
There are entire books written on composition.

Maybe just look for a good book on on the topic.

FYI: "the Rule of thirds" probably won't be in the book, as it is simply some short-hand explanation of asymmetrical balance, and not very useful, IMO.

For most people just starting out, watching the backgrounds is going to do more for your compositions than trying to follow some arbitrary "rule".

You could try googling 'elements of composition in art' instead of photography, that should bring up some resources.

In your first one I think he's more than a third of the way to the left, and the fence adds some texture, so there seems to be more on that side of the photo. I think a slight crop to the right side might help, I'd make some copies and play around with it.

One resource is at EDSITEment | The Best of the Humanities on the Web -
if you go to Composition in Painting: Everything in its right place, then THE LESSONS: Symmetry and Balance, then down to Lesson Activities, there are examples (click on the links).
You can see how symmetrical the first painting is, and how balance is achieved in the third one (smaller tower in the distance, a cross and a ship mast, a vertical tower and a horizontal group of ships).
(There's text that's to guide an instructor that you may just want to skip thru.).

Most reactions

Back